SYOS

Hear i go again

eb424

Hi all

I 've been playing alto for about 2 years and have a Hanson sav1 it has a lovely deep tone.. I bought a series v111 raw brass sax of of Alastair it's a wonderful looking well made sax but.... it's so deep. Has anyone here played 1. I use a 2m select Jazz reed and have tried 5 mpces nothing seems to make the sax brighter; My mate has the ST 8 and the difference in tone is really noticeable. The bottom e seems really hard to blow is this normal in the transition from alto to tenor and aside from the obvious swapping the series v111 for an st8 is there anything I could do to raise the tone. The sax has a swan neck crook would a straight one change anything in the tone... or would I be better of changing the sax...

Thanks in advance

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
My mate has the ST 8 and the difference in tone is really noticeable.
Is the tone different when your mate plays the ST8 or when you play it?
An obvious question is whether the tone is due to the saxophone or you. The best way to find out is for you to try a different sax.

The bottom e seems really hard to blow is this normal in the transition from alto to tenor
Sounds as if your sax might have a leak. I suggest you get it checked by a repairer.

You could ask someone else to try playing your sax to see what it sounds like and whether they have problems with bottom E.

The sax has a swan neck crook would a straight one change anything in the tone
No. All normal tenor saxes have swan neck crooks as far as I know. You can’t swap for a straight crook.

OP
E

eb424

Hi Thanks my mate who has the ST8 tried it but it had the same issue with the e and deepens...would a leak change the tone at all...

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
One thing to do is to take the neck off the sax and look down to body to check that nothing is stuck in it. It sounds silly, but I have known this happen.

Another thing is to use a leak light, or shine a very bright torch down the body, then close the pads in turn and look for light leaking out round the edges.

Have you contacted Hansons to see what they suggest?

Zugzwang

Subscriber
[/QUOTE][="nigeld, post: 404584, member: 4650"]All normal tenor saxes have swan neck crooks as far as I know. You can’t swap for a straight crook.[/QUOTE]
Unless you’re Jan Garbarek.

altissimo

have tried 5 mpces nothing seems to make the sax brighter
which mouthpieces have you tried and how bright do you want to go?
If you can get to a shop like Howarths or Sax.co.uk or order a mouthpiece on 7 day trial, these may be bright enough for you -
Jody Jazz Jet, Vandoren Jumbo Java, Rousseau Studio, Claude Lakey, Rico Metalite, Kanee Studio....

Keep Blowing

Commercial Café Supporter
which mouthpieces have you tried and how bright do you want to go?
If you can get to a shop like Howarths or Sax.co.uk or order a mouthpiece on 7 day trial, these may be bright enough for you -
Jody Jazz Jet, Vandoren Jumbo Java, Rousseau Studio, Claude Lakey, Rico Metalite, Kanee Studio....
He's got a Kanee Studio but didn't find bright,

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
I'm not a fan of the new 'Rico' / d'Addario reeds as the ones I've tried seem very stiff and resistant. I would get Alistair to check the sax for any issues - you only need the slightest of knocks for something to go awry and try different reeds. In general.... tenors are easier to play than altos - you're embouchure might be too tight.

OP
E

eb424

Thanks for that keep blowing lol... I just can't get it to sound right I've tried claude lakey, kanee studio, otto link, vandoren v16 metal and one other metal one that I can't remember that nearly made it take the paint of the walls it was similar to a brillhart 8 I usually play 6* to 7* star but as keep blowing said even the kanee didn't make it sound overly bright.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Café Supporter
Thanks for that keep blowing lol... I just can't get it to sound right I've tried claude lakey, kanee studio, otto link, vandoren v16 metal and one other metal one that I can't remember that nearly made it take the paint of the walls it was similar to a brillhart 8 I usually play 6* to 7* star but as keep blowing said even the kanee didn't make it sound overly bright.
Maybe try a synthetic reed, I haven't tried many but the ones I have tried seem brighter than cane

OP
E

eb424

Hey lol I bought a 2.5 me here and tried it ...it's on it's way back to the reed exchange in Canada... Alastair going to check it over and send down the st1v.. what a man he is...

Pete Effamy

The first thing I would do is try a softer reed, the second thing would be to check it over with a leak light
Yep, I had a softer reed in mind. Then I read that you're using a 2M... but hell, give it a go. When you say that no mouthpiece you try is bright, what do you sound like? Airy (try softer reed), or just plain dark and mellow?

Colin the Bear

The tenor isn't a bigger alto. It's similar but completely different. It may take a lifetime to get the tone you want from a tenor. Bear in mind though that they don't sound the same behind the mouthpiece as they do in front. Practice cures most problems. You have to earn your tone. You cannot buy it.

My own experience was...Clarinet no problem Add alto no problem. Add Baritone no problem. Add tenor oh dear squawk, squeak, poor intonation and poor tone. Eventually improving. Add soprano... shouldn't have bothered...stupid thing...house is full of dogs and bats.

OP
E

eb424

Pmsl... it just don't sound right....it is deep honest I've had my mate play it and listened and it sounds different than when I play his..gonna try the stv1 while Alastair has a look over it.. after Jazz fest obviously...

Pete Effamy

The tenor isn't a bigger alto. It's similar but completely different. It may take a lifetime to get the tone you want from a tenor. Bear in mind though that they don't sound the same behind the mouthpiece as they do in front. Practice cures most problems. You have to earn your tone. You cannot buy it.
Yep. All of this..

Top Bottom