PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Heads up - Sax.co Sop S80 Mpc bargain

Ads

Sax.co.uk have a bit of a sale on less common Mpc sizes of Selmer S80 for Soprano ..

they have one "B" left (about the same as a Yamaha 4C) and one "G" left which they say is about Otto-link 6* ....... they had two but I bought one :D

£50 which is a steal , they`re £130 full price ..

They have a variety of Selmer pieces in Tenor too around the £75 mark

Ring and ask for Scott as you can`t order online at this price as there`s no pulldown for the size to choose

http://www.sax.co.uk/selmer-s80-soprano-mouthpiece-46-off.ir

Yeah and that was cheap !! . they come in a fancy Selmer Paris box in a lovely velvet selmer Paris bag but with nothing useful like a Ligature or anything :rolleyes:

I can`t see how anyone couldn`t get on with it (bar beginners where the Bai Esprit is king) unless its vintage-horn unfriendly or the bright balance isn` to taste ? ... it livens up the G4M nicely .

For me, at least on the one I had, it was dull and lifeless. Like blowing through a sock. Might have been me, or the specific mouthpiece I had, everyone's different. I tried it on both vintage and modern and found the same on both. Replaced it with a Bari Gold, which played for years, before settling on a PPT 7.

Still a bargain it fifty quid for those who do get one with them.

Certainly sounds the opposite of the G anyway - the stock doorwedge is like blowing through a sock, the Bari Esprit is what I`d call Mellow . the S80-G is a ripper, really brings the horn alive with loads of tonal control , it`d possibly even too bright for some curvy sops but is ideal on this Straight (when I get to play it) thanks for the recommendation Colin - I`d never have thought about one and would have gone down the used Yani 7 off E-Bay route or not bothered and used the Esprit when I got my hands on the horn .

E is still pretty narrow, though the G sounds great for playing Bach & Vivaldi too :D . I`d certainly not call it lifeless, I`ve not got a Yani Metal to compare but the brightness difference between it and the Bari seems about the same as the Yani did compared to an Esprit on an Elkhart deluxe straight if you get my drift ..

What Sops have you guys got ? .

Yanagisawa S6 (bought new 30 odd years ago)
Bauhaus Walstein CSS-PD (curved for gigging)
Yanagisawa S991
and some mouthpieces:
Brancher metal J17
PPT 7
Yanagisawa metal 9
Dukoff M8
Selmer S80 E
Bari ebonite 66
Yamaha 4C

I play the PPT 90% of the time.

I can`t see anything there which would be any difficulty horn wise (no weird 1920s or earlier stuff etc) .. if the PPT Sop Is anything like the tenor, a Selmer-E would sound dead next to that , Heck most "normal" pieces would ! ..

I`d love that Yani S6

Congrats on the Elkhart Deluxe (Saki-tick) Kev , Daveysaxboy still swears by his bronze version ... I`ve not actually got a Sop , only an S80 G mouthpiece :rolleyes:

I was struggling for tone and intonation on the sop.

I tried the usual student pieces

Rico graftonite
Rico Metalite
Yam 4c
Chinese Delacore
Bari esprit.

The S80 is the first proper mouthpiece I've tried on sop.

Back
Top Bottom