All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Heads up - please someone buy this before I'm tempted again!

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I`d not go mad on the SR but the RAW is a STEAL ........ BUY IT The Tenors are £2500 not £1800 !

Last edited:

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Believe me, you Need that Horn (if a 62 isn`t your bag that ought to be), One blow and the Grassi will be upside-down poking out of the bin in the back yard >:)

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I`d not go mad on the SR but the RAW is a STEAL ........ BUY IT The Tenors are £2500 not £1800 !

From "a retailer" 3/10/13:

"Hi David,

Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday, busy day in the shop!

Okay, I checked with Trevor James, there are two different saxes I would
recommend to you at reasonable ish price from TJ. The SR as mentioned, but
also the Signature Custom. The Signature Custom is actually the one I was
thinking of as this is a great sax and the one that is available in RAW
finish. the prices of the various saxes available are below. I would
recommend the Signature Custom in raw brass finish. This is very well
thought of and a "players" sax.

Signature Custom tenor in raw brass finish £1833 (usual price £2279)"

;)

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Believe me, you Need that Horn (if a 62 isn`t your bag that ought to be), One blow and the Grassi will be upside-down poking out of the bin in the back yard >:)

I must save my money for the Super 20; I must save my money for the Super 20

I must save my money for the Super 20!

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Is this normal???. A DrUnKeNeD engraver?.....

Sigcus.JPG

davidk

Paints With Notes
Locality
Earth
Is this normal???. A DrUnKeNeD engraver?.....

View attachment 1745
Yes, it's from a pre-facelift model:
http://sax.co.uk/acatalog/Signature...Big-Bell-Tenor-Saxophone-753753987598948.html

The big question is what else was changed in the facelift? The model reviewed by Stephen Howard was from August 2011 and has the new stamp:
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/tj_sc_raw_tenor.htm

From the review:
"The first model I saw impressed me very much, but I found a number of flaws." Is the one on eBay one of these early models? Maybe give Trevor James a call.

I'd walk away. If you've found one with the new logo stamp for £1833, I'd give that a play test against your current tenor.

Happy shopping :)

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
The seller is in Lincolnshire so this needs someone who is local to Binbrook to pop round and give it a try.... pronto!
I sense it'll be gone by tomorrow.

No, I'm still hanging on for the Super 20 Alto, that ones owner has been back in touch today!

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Hi David,

I do hope you got his permission to post his phone number and medical condition on a public forum, I can see you're trying to get a good horn into the right hands, but if he's not given his consent I would think twice about posting his contact details.

all the best,

Chris
Yes, naturally I asked for permission. He knows of the Cafe, and was grateful for the suggestion to help him sell it.
Thanks for checking though.
:thumb:

BUMNOTE

Locality
Wolverhampton West Midlands
Hi David, not being rude, just curious....but do you actualy play these sax,s you keep hunting out, I dont mean play testing, but tunes and the like, I know you said you have a tutor, but you seem to enjoy the chase for horns.Bumnote.

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
This is not the same as a Signature Custom RAW,but its a good buy just the same.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Hi David, not being rude, just curious....but do you actualy play these sax,s you keep hunting out, I dont mean play testing, but tunes and the like, I know you said you have a tutor, but you seem to enjoy the chase for horns.Bumnote.
Don't be daft! When would I find the time!!!???

:rolleyes:

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands

This is from the Signature Custom series of horns before the RAW came out,they weren't even called RAW at that time ,it is still a good horn and by the looks of it a good buy.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I thought it was cheap, didn`t look at the pics closely but if its not a RAW then he shouldn`t be advertising it as such ..... I wondered when David said he could get a Tenor RAW for £1800, I`ve never seen them that cheap (Proper RAWs anyway) .. if that is as good as a real RAW then it`s a steal at £1200 let alone £1000

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I thought it was cheap, didn`t look at the pics closely but if its not a RAW then he shouldn`t be advertising it as such ..... I wondered when David said he could get a Tenor RAW for £1800, I`ve never seen them that cheap (Proper RAWs anyway) .. if that is as good as a real RAW then it`s a steal at £1200 let alone £1000
I'm sure the retailer offering £1833 on the SC Raw tenor is talking about the new model and not the old SC in a raw finish as this one appears to be. I've emailed him to check out of curiosity. Let you know...

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
I have removed a couple of posts, references to, and phone numbers of, people selling items off ebay which is very against their policy seems a bit dodgy.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I fail to see what the fuss is about. They're really not that interesting. Much in the same way that Yamahas aren't.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom