All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Hay and watchya from a Brit in Norge

New Member Introduction
This is an introduction (not an ad or question about saxophone)

mizmar

Happy to sign in.
I like fora because, for me, they're like sitting in a pub listening to the experiences folks. Buy I don't say much.

My origin story:
So, 7 years ago I went to his jazz gig and came out, as so often, thinking "Great! But I really don't understand it".
Then, as anyway I was looking for something to do that didn't require staring as at a computer or jumping out of an airplane; I thought I'll learn about jazz from the inside! Given my entire music playing amounted to a year or two of clarinet, aged 10 (around 45 years before) the obvious thing do was to buy an alto sax. Juiced up on Randy Hunter's "learn jazz sax" e-lessons & scratched around learning some theory.... For theory it became obvious that a keyboard was a better tool than a sax, so I got a basic Yamaha, then loaded up on pianoforall - because I wanted a chord first approach... Upgraded to the FP-30 as well as adding a tenor sax and a clarinet to the stable. And a zoom h2n ... Because, well at least I have to listen to myself even if no-one else will! And I have a K&M 107 Music Stand because I'm 6'4''. And a Ney because I'm not only curious about jazz...
I still can play jazz - but I'm happily trekking through the foot hills & lower slopes. One day...

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the café, sax and jazz.

Though we do have non jazz sax discussion too. :)

Jx

mizmar

Thanks both.

I am into other genres - I also tackle playing classical and, of course, blues. And theory learning has led to learning about Maqam etc.
Currently I'm in a deep dive blues practice mode on piano and sax. All good for the learning.

rhysonsax

Subscriber
Welcome to the Caff.

If you've got a Zoom h2n, then maybe we can look forward to hearing from you on the Song Of The Month and Ballad Of The Month threads.

And I look forward to hearing your contributions on other threads - you can't just sit quietly at the back of the pub all the time !

Rhys

mizmar

maybe we can look forward to hearing from you
You say that...
Not long ago, reading a book on the "musical" traditions of Qur'an recitation (long story) I came across this (from where my forum handle comes)

It is also reported that Muhammad said, “There are two cursed sounds, the sound of wailing at a disaster, and the sound of a mizmār in a melody"
:)

One day.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
It is also reported that Muhammad said, “There are two cursed sounds, the sound of wailing at a disaster, and the sound of a mizmār in a melody"
This was of course before the invention of the soprano saxophone

mizmar

Sorry didnt see this but wondering how your English was so good your being in Norway : i see you cheated...;)
Thanks.
In all fairness, a vast number of Norwegians speak very good English; on top of their two official languages and various dialects.
I only just squeez by with a little Bokmål and Google translate. Soz, yeah, I cheat like crazy!

Adrian63

I've said before here that I spent time living in Norway : could never get my head around the language . We used to travel up north close to Tromso ; man that Samisk ( sic ) is a crazy language . I threw myself into the life there skiing badly for one . Could just do with a cold Ringnes ? ( blue label export ) and a bowl of that winter stew....forricor ? ( no idea of the correct spelling )...

Top Bottom