All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hava Nagila

bozzd

Hi guys. What scale/s would you use to improvise over Havana Gila? Although not quite geographically correct I would like to get a kind of Balkan feel. Like Ivo Papasov's clarinet playing if you have heard him. Any advice much appreciated.

TheCureFan

This is probably of no use but here goes anyway. The simple version I have is in the Key of F (or D minor (still haven't worked out how you tell)) and the chords it has are C7 , Fm and Bbm. As for improve I'm still working on how to tell which is best (bit difficult when I can only play 5 so far)

ArtyLady

Off the top of my head - any relevant Harmonic Minors (and patterns derived from) should work quite well :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Havana Gila? A Cuban rabbi smoking cigars and playing congas?

If Curefan's chords are correct, F harmonic minor seems to be the relevant scale

TheCureFan

It was and a good time was had by all (well the wife and the cat anyway)? Tips werent plentiful apart from don't give up the day job, which is a bit worrying as I don't have one.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
This is probably of no use but here goes anyway. The simple version I have is in the Key of F (or D minor (still haven't worked out how you tell)) and the chords it has are C7 , Fm and Bbm. As for improve I'm still working on how to tell which is best (bit difficult when I can only play 5 so far)
Most tunes end on the tonic. So if it ends on an F, you're there. Aldevis suggestion of F harmnic minor sounds rught, but there's also a Klezmer scale.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom