All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones has anyone played a Hanson SA6 alto

eb424

Locality
london
Good afternoon all.... has anyone played a Hanson SA6 alto or worked on one that could give me a bit of a review. It sounds great and I was just wondering whether it was worth upgrading or whether as I play tenor mainly its a good enough sax... I was looking at a Yani a901 on line what would general consensus be. I like to the tone of the SA6 but cant find much info... I'm not overly keen on the palm keys but am sending it back for a service and will ask if they can be changed or bent out slightly (high F).

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
Your post is a bit confusing. Am I correct that you already own the Hanson A6 ? But you primarily play Tenor ?

Simple answer = if you are happy with it, keep it. If you are unhappy with it, get something else.

You are asking folks' opinions of a horn you already own. But you are best equipped to determine whether it is serving you well.

If you think the Yani may be better, are shops open (by appointment at least) someplace where you can try a new Yani ? If so, just do that.

Last edited:
OP
E

eb424

Locality
london
Hi JayeNM yes i own the SA6. It plays well i am trying to focus on the tenor at the mo so It's gone back for a service. There are a couple of things I'm not keen on the palm keys are sharp almost enough to cut your hands as you slide down but i hope they can be filled its raw brass. Tone wise its great easy blowing I just wondered if anyone owned one as info's sparse. I know it was Alastair's top model sometime ago and it will probably come back great. I don't think you can test in a shop at the mo everything's quarantined it will do everything I want it to do. It's only theres one for sale on e bay at a really good price which got me thinking...dangerous place thinking..

Mostlytenor

Locality
London
Hi,
I own an SA6 which I bought last winter secondhand but very little used. I'm quite happy with mine but I'm an amateur player. It's good enought for me anyway. I like the tone and the build quality is excellent.
Alastair told me that the SA6 was intended as a professional level instrument based on a MK6 although a slightly less exact copy then their current LX model. That is not important for me though. I'm an agnostic about MK 6s.

He said that the SA6 was discontinued because it was entirely built from scratch in Britain with no imported parts and it was just too expensive to do that and make any money.

Dave E

Locality
Leicester
Hi
I've tried both the Alto and tenor LX's at the Hanson shop and was impressed by both instruments; ending up getting an LX tenor a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't have expected much tone difference between the LX's and the SA6's, but you'd have to compare the models yourself. Since you already own the SA6 alto it makes sense just to have the palm keys modified at Hansons as you plan, if you find them sharp to the touch.

OP
E

eb424

Locality
london
Thanks Dave E... there's no doubt Hansons make quality saxes. It's only I saw a bargain yani and the badge snob in me made an appearance...poor show..

Mostlytenor

Locality
London
OP,regarding the palm keys, have you thought about palm key risers? They are rubber 'shoes' which fit over the keys for the purpose of raising them slightly but they would also suit your purpose in making them more comfortable. They cost buttons.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6