Tutorials

Recording Harsh Sound Quality for Higher Notes ?

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Another thought from me is that I am also experiencing almost painful harshness of the same sort when listening not only to my own recordings but also to plenty of recorded music, both compressed and uncompressed. That has made me suspect that either my headphones or my DAC/headphone amp could be the source of the harshness, rather than the mic, room or saxophone.

My DAC is an ARCAM rPAC (discontinued model) and the headphones are AKG K550 Reference Headphones, which I think have a reputation for being "revealing". They certainly aren't restful or smooth.

Any suggestions for better closed back headphones that I should audition ?

Rhys

Guenne

Any suggestions for better closed back headphones that I should audition ?
Hifi or for Mixing?
I'm using these ugly Avantones:

Cheers, Guenne

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Hifi or for Mixing?
I'm using these ugly Avantones:

Cheers, Guenne
Thanks @Guenne . That's an "interesting" look to say the least. The price looks to be about what I want to spend.

Ideally they would be for both purposes. In my innocence I imagined that a good pair of headphones with a neutral sound would work for both.

Any mixing I do is strictly as a hobbyist.

Rhys

Guenne

neutral sound would work for both.
It's indeed an advantage to be able to switch them to mono and to a mode, where the mids are boosted.
If something sounds good with these phones, it really sounds good.
Try them at Thomann, send them back if you don't like them.
I always compare them to my Adam A7x monitors, and for hobby puposes it's good enough.
I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic Custom Studio headphones, and IMHO there's more Hifi in them, but more "Studio" in the Avantones :)

Cheers, Guenne

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

If you can, post some examples so we can check them out, too.
Will do.

I tried a few different closed-back headphones yesterday and several of them made a big improvement over my existing AKG 'phones. I think this is at least a large part of the problem I'm hearing.

Rhys

Top Bottom