support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Harrogate Sax Summer School

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi,

I'm thinking of going to this in August (subject to availability, and plans to abandon my family for a week!) - has anyone been to previous ones, or is anyone else going along to sunny Harrogate 21-25 Aug? I'd love some first hand reviews.........

Cheers,

Amanda

You'll love it. I've been going on and off to the Woldingham one run by Rob Buckland (and previously Andy Scott too) for about 10 years and have become good friends with them. We went to Harrogate last year and I thought it was a better set up, being close to the town centre (pubs) and having a lot of energy going on, with clarinets and flutes there too. It's also good value compared to Woldingham and other summer schools. There is plenty of opportunity to develop your technique and to have a go at ensemble playing (including the fantastic Sax Assalt charts with rhythm section), classical work with piano, quartets, improvising with a rhythm section etc. Last year they had Pete Long as guest who was typically larger and louder than life. We also met Greg Patullo the beatboxing flautist. Everyone there is out to make sure you have a good time - just turn up with horns, any music you want to play and a positive attitude and you'll have a blast.

Thanks- Just the sort of info I was looking for! :thankyou:

This will be a huge leap of faith for me as I'm very much a closet player-until recently the only person to hear me play was my tutor (even only practiced when family were out of earshot!). With much persuasion, I joined the Aberdeen Sax Orchestra a few weeks ago and discovered that I wasn't as totally out my depth as I'd expected to be, so whilst the momentum is on the up I want to keep pushing the boundaries..........

I'll fill in the application form now so I can't change my mind!:w00t:

You don't need to be *that* good although you need to be able to read music to a point and to be able to play the notes of the 'standard' range on the horn. I suppose that's why they say grade 4-5 standard but there are lots of people there who have never done an exam.

You don't need to be *that* good although you need to be able to read music to a point and to be able to play the notes of the 'standard' range on the horn. I suppose that's why they say grade 4-5 standard but there are lots of people there who have never done an exam.

Almost sounds tempting (as I live there) but I reckon my reading would let me down.

And my playing... :blush:

I went to a similar course in January at Alston Hall near Preston, and thought it was fantastic- and I am a very average reader and player. I would heartily encourage anyone to do it. If you let your doubts put you off, then you are robbing yourself of a great experience.

Hi Amanda

I went to the Harrogate Summer School a few years ago as I lived there at the time. There were a few 'regulars' but they were most welcoming and friendly. I agree about the reading - you need to be able to read fairly well. Andy Scott used a couple of his own charts from Sax Assault and the were great fun to play. I hope you enjoy it and take advantage of all the advise. :)

Hi Amanda

I went to the Harrogate Summer School a few years ago as I lived there at the time. There were a few 'regulars' but they were most welcoming and friendly. I agree about the reading - you need to be able to read fairly well. Andy Scott used a couple of his own charts from Sax Assault and the were great fun to play. I hope you enjoy it and take advantage of all the advise. :)

Cheers Sue, will do. My sight reading isn't too bad most of the time - so long as I don't get flustered!

Looking forward to it, with a little trepidation:)

Well, I went along and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. I've come away with a head swimming with info (which will take time to digest and put into practice!), vastly improved sight reading skills, and many new friends.

The event was definitely good value for money - excellent tuition, and opportunities which just aren't available on my doorstep. I think the closing number of the concert on the last night will live with me for a long time - 32 saxes playing the Theme From the Simpsons, very raucously (as directed!) in the Weslyan Chapel, Harrogate. Might take the locals a while to recover!:w00t: