All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Harlem Nocturne....nearly

Colin the Bear

Seeing as I've got the cloud working again, and an afternoon to kill, I thought I'd have a bash at this old standard.

I've simplified the bits I can't play and complicated the bits I can. It's close but no cigar.:mrcool

DeadAudiolink Removed

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Sometimes close enough is good enough. This is one of those times. Nice one Colin:thumb:

Chris..

Colin the Bear

Thankyou.

There's a couple of places where I lost the plot and managed to find my way. And there's a honkyness (as in goose not as in white man) when I come in after a break that needs working on but I got through with feeling and didn't drop it lol

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
I don't get why you are posting with apologies. It's more than a good effort with excellent feeling. If you want to worry about something I'd look at your vibrato which is a bit excessive. One can get away with this more easily on sop but it's not so nice on lower pitch instruments. Nothing wrong with your interpretations feeling, timing, etc. Play on...

Colin the Bear

Thank you Wade.

It's a strange phenomenum but I always feel that I could do better when listening to recordings of myself. Some times when listening to something old I can't believe it's me. It is slightly tongue in cheek. The banter in the local trad band I used to play with was aimed at disarming prima donnas. I remember a particularly moving rendition of misty by a guest Trumpet player being back announced by the Trombone player describing it as a passable attempt. I suppose it's the Humphrey Littleton school of humour. The vibrato is getting more pronounced as I get older. Probably indicates early onset Parkinsons.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
A true great song ,you done it proud.Nice old school vibrato.Reminds me of them early french players.

Colin the Bear

New mic, a bit more know how with audacity and a bit more familiar with the song after busking it for a few months. So... Redone it

DeadAudiolink Removed

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Good rendition with good control of the vibrato. I really enjoy the way you sing through your instrument. No accidents there of fiddle diddles "playing the changes". Every note is as you want it. Fine playing.

Colin the Bear

It's such a cracking tune I don't think it needs anything adding. Just expressing.
I can't help but hear a Humphrey Bogart type commentary over black and white pictures of a rain soaked New York nightscape, whenever it's played.

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
I love this tune and particularly enjoyed listening to your recording :)

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom