All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Hard rubber/Pastic Mouthpiece Refinishing (not refacing)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Anyone got any suggestions for something to polish a hard rubber mouthpiece that's become brown/green from age/heat?

What about normal plastic mouthpieces such as Brilharts?

Has anyone tried painting a mouthpiece?

Sunray

Anyone got any suggestions for something to polish a hard rubber mouthpiece that's become brown/green from age/heat?

What about normal plastic mouthpieces such as Brilharts?

Has anyone tried painting a mouthpiece?

Hey hey Kev ...

I have had really good results using a clean soft cloth dampened with Methylated Spirit ...

Cleans up nicely after two or three goes - Rub Hard ... and watch it come off ...

Smells removed at the same time ...

PS - Not tried painting etc ...

jonf

I haven't tried this on one that's gone greeny-brown, but I've used ultra fine wire wool on ebonit mouthpieces which have been scratched to pretty good effect. Won't take out deep scratches or give a Yanagisawa-esque shine, but cleans them up pretty nicely.

Fraser Jarvis

I had a Selmer soloist that turned brown/green when i "disinfected" it with boiling water and bleach:shocked:, it also developed an awfull taste and smell, (from the rubber not the bleach) although it could be polished up reasonably quickly with a duster it soon lost it's shine and reverted back to that horrible brown/green matt...

Top Bottom