All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hard Rubber/Ebonite Mouthpiece Restoration

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
There was a post recently on the mouthpiece google group, detailing Dr Paul Coates approach to refurbing a discoloured, smelly HR piece.

1 - Clean out inside with lemon juice, this dissolves the calcium deposits without leaving a vinegar taste.
2 - Use Magic eraser under lukewarm running water to rub off the discoloured outer layer of rubber
3 - Polish by hand with plastic polish
4 - Buff with a soft dry cloth.

5 - Another poster suggested polising with beeswax as a final step. Not sure if I'll be able to do that.

Avoid tip/rails as you do it.

I'm partway through step 2 and thought I'd share the results so far:

untreated side (beak has been partly done:

untreated parts.jpg

Treated and untreated sides
half and half.jpg

Treated side. Note how the lig mark is nearly invisible.
treated side.jpg

It still smells a bit, not sure if it's because of the side that's untreated or that I didn't take enough off.
My fingers smell worse, suggest you use rubber gloves.
The mouthpiece has a metal table as well as reinforcing ring. There's no apparant damage.
I'm not sure of the metal, I originally thought it was silver, but I think it's actually nickle-silver, so don't blame me if you use it on silver plate and take the plating off.

Looking good so far.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
What is Magic Eraser Kev?
It's a foam/sponge that's mildy abrasive. Used with water, seems to be good for getting stubborn muck off sinks and so on. Had never heard of it before. I asked my wife if she knew about it, and it turned out she had a box, but hadn't tried them yet. Was an own name brand from one ouf our supermarkets, so no help in England. Foam wears away when you use it, but not very quickly.

IF you google Mr Clean Magic Eraser you'll get more idea.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Update, mouthpiece looks good, very slightly matte finish, but good. Still smells a bit, but nowhere near as bad as before. I thinks I'll have another go this evening. Was difficult to use inside the mouthpiece where it had gone brown on the baffle and sides.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom