• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
sax.co.uk

Reeds Hard reed to playable in 10 seconds; this trick works.

David Roach

Great tip!
I was shown the 'flicking' trick by Rob Buckland about 10 years ago; he in turn had learnt it from a Vandoren rep who visited the RNCM. I was shown it on a flat surface like a table top, but I use my mobile phone screen when I'm on a gig.
I've posted it a few times, but people have in general seemed reluctant to believe it works. I never sand or scrape reeds now, just flick them!

David Dorning

Great tip!
I was shown the 'flicking' trick by Rob Buckland about 10 years ago; he in turn had learnt it from a Vandoren rep who visited the RNCM. I was shown it on a flat surface like a table top, but I use my mobile phone screen when I'm on a gig.
I've posted it a few times, but people have in general seemed reluctant to believe it works. I never sand or scrape reeds now, just flick them!
I saw your demo of the "flick" at Sax.co.uk and yes, it does work!

David Roach

So did I but can never remember which way to flick :)

Jx
I suppose the easiest way is to imagine what's going to happen to the reed when you've flicked it. Will the tip of the reed be closer to the mouthpiece facing? Or further away?
Closer = less resistance = easier to play
Further away = more resistance = harder to play
:cool:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I suppose the easiest way is to imagine what's going to happen to the reed when you've flicked it. Will the tip of the reed be closer to the mouthpiece facing? Or further away?
Closer = less resistance = easier to play
Further away = more resistance = harder to play
:cool:
I'm sure you've noticed that the chap in the video in the OP does it the opposite way round. :)

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
In the video he says nothing about further in or out, only about 'breaking' the fibres of the reed which is something I've done but a different way.

spike

Can't imagine that a quick flick or two would break the fibres, rather think it might just break a few of the cell walls thus making the reed a little softer in allowing the fibres to vibrate more freely. However - anybody got a microscope ?
My solution has always been to give a stuffy reed a bit of welly for a few minutes and blow it brutally into submission.

Last edited:

David Roach

Just watched this, if you hold the tip and flick the underside wouldn't that bring the tip further in?

Jx
It depends which way up you have the reed.
If you put the reed on the edge of a table (or any flat, stable surface), with your finger on the tip end and the heel of the reed hanging over the edge of the table:
If the flat side of the reed is facing upwards and you flick it from below, it will bend the reed so that it becomes softer to blow (because you are bending the reed towards the mouthpiece's facing).
If the flat side is facing down and you flick it from below it will make it harder to blow (because you are bending it away from the facing of the mouthpiece).
But really if you experiment on a few reeds you will get the idea :).

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Never heard of this so thanks for this video. I'll try it out.
Mike
I posted another thread regarding reeds that came too hard to play (Rico changed their process) and was looking to buy softer ones and then I came across this trick on Youtube and it really works (don't overdo it).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_A9xKiyoDA

I've only done it with two reeds so far but both play briliantly afterward.