Tutorials

Hanson Sax

seedy

Hi everyone, I have always wanted to play the sax and have aquired a tenor from a friend of a friend who hasn't got the time to play anymore. It's a Hanson ST6 and he reckons its a good instrument. I bought it (maybe stupidly) on impulse and am wondering if anyone knows if they are any good .ps is 46 too old to learn?????????

Young Col

Welcome Seedy. At 46 you're a mere youth. Why, I remember that at 46 I... but no, let's not. You are certainly not too old.
Old Git on here has a Hanson ST8 which I have played and it is very nice. They have a good reputation. Don't know how the ST6 compares. Enjoy your playing and the Caff.
YC

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Welcome. 46 isn't too old to start, a lot of peole start even older... Me for one. :mrcool

As for the Hanson.... Old Git (OG) runs an unofficial 'club' here - the CASLM - and so anyone criticising Hansons risks a visit from some of his members.... :w00t:

The visit is, of course, purely a friendly reminder of the exellent qualities of Hanson saxes, you understand. ;}

No doubt Tom M will be a long soon to recommend The Jazz Method as an instruction manual. And you'll get lots of conflicting advice about mouthpieces, embouchure, technique.... All part of the service here, after all, you get whet you pay for. :)))

Just find a teacher and have fun. :welldone

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi nice to have another seedy character on the forum

Like YC says your a baby compared to most of us at the cafe I was 58 (I think) when I first managed to get my hands on a sax and all I could remember from my school music was little thing that said (every good boy deserves favour), and (face) which is a way of remembering the name of the notes.I play every day now (once I remember where I left it the night before).Enjoy the cafe..john

Nick Cook

Hi Seedy,

I started at 50 with no musical experience at all - so you'll be fine.

I bought a Hanson alto, and it's a good sax. I now play mostly on a Tenor and the alto seems tiny in comparison!!!!

OP
S

seedy

Thanks guys,
Next step I think is to find a teacher.Any advice on this rather than Yellow pages. I live in the Preston area.....

TomMapfumo

Oh yes, what is it that I have to recommend to you ......... :blush: "The Jazz Method for Sax" by John O'Neill - best adult introduction book that I have found (includes play along CD) and is a lot more approachable than the run of the mill Young Teen stuff - "A Tune a Day", "Abracadabra" and many others.

Hi, Seedy, and Welcome to the Cafe from the Skabertawe 3 Button Soprano Sax Collective, down by 'ere in Wales!;}. I started Sax at 47 (Also Trumpet at 48, and Trombone at 50, and play them all to Intermediate level - which is great fun). If I remember correctly the ST6 has pretty good write ups, and occupies a place amongst a whole generation of saxes (John Packer, Bauhaus Walstein etc.) which are near pro quality, cost much less than the usual suspects (Yamaha, Selmer and others), and are made in increasingly more advanced factories in Taiwan and similar.

So go forth and multiply - loads of good contact and advice is available at the cafe, especially as issues pop up all the time - reeds, ligatures, mouthpieces, straps, music to listen to practice tips etc.

Just off packing as off to France tomorrow.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

jadoube

Thanks guys,
Next step I think is to find a teacher.Any advice on this rather than Yellow pages. I live in the Preston area.....
Welcome seedy.

Ask in a local music shop if there is one. Find where schoolkids take their instruments for repair? Ask if they have a list of teachers (and can suggest which enjoys teaching adults). That's how I found my teacher.

Der Wikinger

Welcome seedy, from seedier than you !!

My mentor, Jack who is 77, asks me a question. He says he didn't help me much at first because he did not think I would stick with it (because I would not become a virtuoso over night,and when I did not I would quit, he thought). What are the reasons we take up the sax now. He says its too late for us to really become anything except old men who can play the sax??

Little My

Practice makes better.
Welcome seedy.

Ask in a local music shop if there is one. Find where schoolkids take their instruments for repair? Ask if they have a list of teachers (and can suggest which enjoys teaching adults). That's how I found my teacher.
Yes, I found my teacher by asking at the local repair shop. I found the local repair shop by asking on Sax on the Web, but someone here might be able to help you.

Welcome, and enjoy playing!

OP
S

seedy

Lessons

I used to have a tin whistle and could play a decent tune, and after having a go on my new sax (came with a finger chart), can pick out a tune as well, with squeeks!!!!!! If I have lessons would I be advised to read music??????

Young Col

You might find a teacher who doesn't expect you to learn to read as part of your sax learning, but they may be few and far between. It's really not difficult and if you want to play in any kind of formal ensemble or band you're going to need to read parts. Having said that, there are many good musicians who don't read - Taz? There's a UK sax teachers directory on Pete's main site here, via Taming the Saxophone.
YC

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
If you learn to read music as you learn to play, it's not difficult. One trick my wife showed me is to break it down into small parts and get those right then put it together. This goes with timing as well - if you can't get the timing right, then clap the rhythm from the note values alone.... Works wonders.

Tin whistle - wonderful instrument, if you were playing that, you'll have no problems with the sax. You'll have the basics of breath control already.

Squeaks - it's probably you as your embouchure isn't there yet. Could be that you're starting with a reed that's too hard. Another book that gets recommendde a lot here is Larry Teal's "The Art of the Saxophone". Amazon have it, it's not expensive and it has a good section devoted to embouchure and mouth exercises.

Andante cantabile

I expect that a music teacher would want you to learn to read music. It isn't that hard, especially for saxophone which uses only one stave. Any of the modern beginner books will ease you into the subject quite gradually. That said, there seem to be lots of people who do not rely on written music and who seem to manage very well.

Grum

Hi Seedy. I have had a Hanson HT5 Tenor for a good few years. Its always been an OK horn. I had to have the palm keys adjusted to be comfortable and there was quite a lot of mechanical noise from the keywork, but that was easily fixed, recently a few key pearls have dropped of, again quickly fixed with evostick. Spares, in my case lost pearls were quickly shipped from Hanson. Alistaire at Hanson is very helpful with any problems. Sound wise the horns is ok and plays in tune, for me it lacks the dynamic range and sparkle of my Yamaha 82, but that is nor comparing like with like. I use an Otto Link 7* metal mouthpiece with Rico Royal 2 1/2 or 3 reeds. For an easy blow a Selmar C* or Yamaha 4C mouthpiece works well with 2 or 2 1/2 reeds. Enjoy your horn, your never to old to play music.

Top Bottom