SYOS

Saxophones Hanson LX Tenor Saxophone

Plod

I recall recently someone stating Hanson were developing a new line of Saxophones, just had a look at their website, and wondered if this was it!, someone nip over there and try it out please, as its a long way from Sarf London.:)

Jay

I recall recently someone stating Hanson were developing a new line of Saxophones, just had a look at their website, and wondered if this was it!, someone nip over there and try it out please, as its a long way from Sarf London.:)
I play one - and love it! I'm very much a beginner still but my teacher (who plays an SBA and a Ref 54) is also pretty impressed.
Very nice action, much lighter in both weight and action than my ST8, beautiful warm tone, even with me on the other end of it. As you can see from my signature, I play it with a Link.

The only sad thing is that it comes two finishes only - or certainly did when I got mine - a sort of tobacco coloured laquer - ugly IMHO, and a raw finish, which is what I have. Most people who've seen it assume it's a vintage horn.

PS They'll post one out to you on approval, that's what I did with my original Hanson, the ST8. Usual caveat - ring them, don't email or use the website.

Ads

As far as I can tell, It`s all 100% made in Yorkshire - that`s the biggie with the LX , not made from east German body tube, bow / bell from Taiwan and with bits from China like the previous high end Hansons ..

At the end of the day , I guess it doesn`t matter where its made so long as its a killer horn but there`s both the pride of ownership part of the equasion for the owner and that being all made in one place, it`ll stand a better chance of always being repairable AND (being British) keep its value comes in to play too. there haven`t been too many 100% British made saxes and the ones that are were made in the early part of the 20th century (apart from the plastic Grafton of the 50s of course) ..

Jay

There's a video on YouTube showing final assembly of the body of the LX tenor.
Alastair blowtorch in hand doing the biz.
The options now are dark gold lacquer and raw.

I'm pretty sure the dark gold is what I am describing as 'tobacco coloured'. It was the most peculiar look, designed to be a lacquered but vintage look I think, but odd. Dark gold sounds nice, but....

They (Hansons) offer 5 years free servicing/warranty on their ST8s and 'above'. I don't know the ins and outs of where various bits are made, but I can vouch for having seen them putting saxophones together from the body tube upwards, in their workshop when I've visited.

Ads

LX was one step up from the budget L model (of Sierra and Mondeo) ........

The Top Hanson was the Monarch but its really only because of bling - the LX are the only true UK made horns through and through , maybe they`ll make Monarch versions too .

I play a Hanson LX Custom. Alistair build the horn to my specifications. It has a bronze unlacquered body a solid silver bell and solid silver underslung neck. I also use Kangaroo Leather Pads, they don't stick, as much. I have used this horn for professional stage work for 18 months. It has travelled all over Europe and does at least three gigs a week in, often, extreme conditions. I used to play a Yanagisawa T9933 and my Hanson horn is, sound wise, equally good/excellent However, for build and reliability the Hanson is superb I will not change this horn for any other. The best part is, Hanson does all my servicing free of charge, he always meets me with a smile and a cup of tea and the horn goes on the bench. It is important to note that this horn is constantly gigged and must be 100% at all times. I can honestly say apart from the odd leak it has never, to date, let me down. Highly recommended ....... one last tip, if you wish to contact Hanson, call him, he is very slow to reply to e-mails.

Top Bottom