support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Hanson Custom Sax

Willy the Pimp

If anybody is at all interested.
I gave Hanson a visit the other day and played many of his horns, the geezer seems to be a genuine and sound dude.
He asked me to bring my King Super 20 to compare with his Tenor Horns.
I found one of his horns to have similar ergonomics to my King, key-work was fantastic and a really free blowing horn.
It seems that Alistair the proprietor is going to attempt to build a horn to my specifications, he said if i like it, its mine, if i am not happy I can walk away.
I have stated that I would like a free blowing sax, like the one I played, with a solid silver bell, solid silver neck and underslung octave mechanism. It was my request that there is no engraving on this horn.
If anybody is interested in the process I will post picture of the engineering process and how and where this horn is sourced and built.
The total cost of this horn will be less that £2000
interested????????????>:)>:)

I have visited his factory Griff.......the guy makes good quality gear and willingly listen to what players want. I could not fault his attitude and his approach to his buisiness.
I will post regular updates
In relation to price, you are buying direct from source, no wholesaler, no retailer. He also guarantees his horns for five years. Hanson has made his name in the clarinet world, he is now trying to convince us that he can manufacture decent saxophones.

Willy, I've worked on a dozen or so Hanson saxes and I was impressed with them particularly the build quality and price point- so much so bought 2 altos to hire out. I have had the odd spare sent to me too from the guys there. A good Outift and perhaps the may have found an extra niche by making custom "one offs". I think their clarinets are great too.

do you know if he makes custom necks, was thinking for my tenor ?

Yamaha now make solid silver necks.Have you tried a custom G1 neck yet.I love them necks.They have a new VI neck out now.I fancy checking it out.I've had a great custom Bosken neck,Yama F1 bare brass,silver plated,M1.62 purple logo neck and about 5 G1 necks and the custom G1 silver plated worked best for me on my Z horns and 61 tenors.Had a few Selmer necks also but again the G1 won.

Yamaha now make solid silver necks.Have you tried a custom G1 neck yet.I love them necks.They have a new VI neck out now.I fancy checking it out.I've had a great custom Bosken neck,Yama F1 bare brass,silver plated,M1.62 purple logo neck and about 5 G1 necks and the custom G1 silver plated worked best for me on my Z horns and 61 tenors.Had a few Selmer necks also but again the G1 won.
i tried the silver and G necks, nice but happy with mine in the yamaha brand, was wanting to look at something different and just curious if Hanson could make me a personalised neck, to my spec and how much.

Alistair contacted me yesterday, not bad customer service
He has ordered a sheet of .7mm 925 silver for the bell. He is going to send some pictures of the process to add to this thread.
Andrew, In answer to you question, I think it was the ST6, but the action/key work had been changed to replicate a MKVI that he has in his shop. The horn was sold the next day, £1200.

The question is, how do I post pictures,photos to this thread

The question is, how do I post pictures,photos to this thread

Every post has a row of icons when you initially type or edit, 4th from the right is the upload picture. Mouse over if you're not sire, the name comes up. This is the one you want: ScreenHunter_09 Jun. 27 08.53.jpg

I'd like to associate myself with all thepositive comments above.
My first 'serious' sax was a SA-5 (I had a Yamaha in the 80s but my playing then never got going), and Alastair (and Jenny)could not have been more friendly and helpful. I have been to his home/factory/shop several times, and have been treated with great warmth.
His clarinets are made there and are fantastic quality and value.
I only moved away from Hanson's saxes because I found a really exceptional BW (well, actually, Pete told me about it!), at a fantastic price.

I have found that phone calls and visits are often more productive than emails. (I phoned him once on his mobile and , after a bit of a chat, discovered that he was in China :shocked: )

(If anyone needs a B&B up there, I'd be happy to recommend one nearby, on Saddleworth Moor, run by a nice couple, both brass musicians! Probably not in mid-Winter, though!))

If anybody is at all interested.
I gave Hanson a visit the other day and played many of his horns, the geezer seems to be a genuine and sound dude.
He asked me to bring my King Super 20 to compare with his Tenor Horns.
I found one of his horns to have similar ergonomics to my King, key-work was fantastic and a really free blowing horn.
It seems that Alistair the proprietor is going to attempt to build a horn to my specifications, he said if i like it, its mine, if i am not happy I can walk away.
I have stated that I would like a free blowing sax, like the one I played, with a solid silver bell, solid silver neck and underslung octave mechanism. It was my request that there is no engraving on this horn.
If anybody is interested in the process I will post picture of the engineering process and how and where this horn is sourced and built.
The total cost of this horn will be less that £2000
interested????????????>:)>:)

yes, interesting.

Perhaps I am stupid but what does it mean that they are going to “ make" a saxophone for you?

There was a thread years ago where Hanson saxophones were discussed and they were not “ made” in England then.

The were, allegedly, assembled in England from German ( at that time maybe this was the case, now there is no more German maker to make saxophone parts for anyone, Keilwerth makes certainly no parts for no other company than Buffet) and Chinese parts.

Where are Hanson instruments “ made” now? Have you seen them being built? Have you seen them being assembled? Can you share pictures of the manufacturing/assembling or even better a you tube film?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering where the cheaper end stuff was made, Clarinets in particular .. I`ve been after replacing the obligatory battered B12 that`s been kicking about here and have been considering one of Hanson's student oriented models after reading good things about them and there are a few "barely used" ones floating about thesedays .

Milandro
My 'thingy' is of a Hanson being built or rebuilt in Yorkshire. As a Welsh person living in leafy Surrey, have you any idea of how difficult it was to praise something from Oop North? Almost got me, their sainted leader, thrown out of the CaSLM.

Does it really matter where the parts are made providing that when assembled, they make a good and value-for-money instrument?

As for Hanson custom builds, when I ordered an out of stock 5 model, I was offered a variety of options of various bodies, including the then new 6, built with various parts. I settled for a rebuilt ex-demonstrator 8 at the 5 price.

Like all the musical instrument manufacturers, importers and retail outlets I have dealt with in around 48 years of playing at playing music, they are interested in making a living out of satisfied customers rather than becoming instant millionaires, just like you, my Netherlands resident friend.