All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

H & S gone mad

DaveW

I purchased my Poppy today but the guy handing them out said he couldn't offer me a pin or pin it on me because he wasn't allowed to incase he injured me or I did!

***!!!

Colin the Bear

It's not health and safety. It's scared of being sued.

Or maybe it's cost cutting disguising itself as health and safety.

What

Welcome to the world of crazy sue crazy sadness. I live in a commonwealth so if say I sell someone a tool and then they hurt themselves with it I can be sued personally not just my employer. I have to be very careful with how I sell a tool or item because of it. Sometimes adviseing against legitimate proven practices because the person could name me liable since some of these practices are not always safe and you can't count on people to follow safety practices.

Greg Strange

I purchased my Poppy today but the guy handing them out said he couldn't offer me a pin or pin it on me because he wasn't allowed to incase he injured me or I did!

***!!!
Kind of ironic - won't give you a pin for the poppy which commemorates the fallen soldiers of the First World War - I bet there was no Health & Safety in the trenches... if they did they would have all packed up and gone home...

P.S. I had two uncles fight at the Somme, one survived and one was never found - remember the ANZACs (Australian and New Zealand Army Corp)...and all the other fallen heros...

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Greg,
All fallen during the first World War and later are remembered on the Sunday nearest November 11th. In the Folk Clubs, the heart breaking "No man's land" and "The band played Waltzing Mathilda" will be sung, so the ANZACS are remembered for Churchill's Gallipoli fiasco and all the other actions that they and other Commonwealth troops were involved in.

jonf

Nothing to do with health and safety. It's a product of an increasingly litigious society, egged on by money-chasing lawyers encouraging people to sue for every possible injury or offence.

I tend to get a bit irritated about the whole 'Health and Safety gone mad' thing. Most of the stories are completely made up, such as the one about conkers being banned in a school because of a H & S concern. This was just invented by a teacher. The problem is that once it gets published in some awful rag like the Daily Mail it tends to develop a life of its own.

I always think of a discussion I had with my Dad about H & S, in which he recounted a series of terrible tales about people he'd seen killed or injured at work, due to appalling standards and an attitude that workplace death is an inevitable by-product of business. We now have relatively safe workplaces in this country, for which we should be thanking those who developed H & S legislation.

Did that get a bit ranty?

navarro

I have been trying to find a poppy which I have seen in the past which has a non-staining adhesive which affixes it to your clothes they were sold in packs of twelve. Anyone come across them. Regds N.

Update I have now found the stickons in a shopping centre. The volunteer seller a very elderly Ex-Paratrooper also had Poppies and pins.

I asked him what he thought about this Borough (Extremely H and S conscious.) advising vendors not to supply pins . His retort sharp and sweet `B------t. Well done old soldier.

I must add that our public library where I normally purchase my Poppy are not providing this facility. Reason It might offend people who do not understand this tradition.

What an answer. I said I don`t understand quantum physics but I am not offended by books on the subject. The Librarian did not have a sense of humour and just shrugged. regds N.

DaveW

I have often wondered why they don't 'sell' self adhesive poppies, much more practical. I always used to lose the pin-on poppy within hours and for many years just donated and refused the poppy with an explanation.

@JonF, I agree that 'real' H&S is very necessary, just a shame that 'officials' hide behind the H&S excuse when trying to cover their backs. It's time the judges got tough on injury claims and invoked common sense but sadly that seems to be a thing of times past.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Nothing to do with health and safety. It's a product of an increasingly litigious society, egged on by money-chasing lawyers encouraging people to sue for every possible injury or offence.

I tend to get a bit irritated about the whole 'Health and Safety gone mad' thing. Most of the stories are completely made up, such as the one about conkers being banned in a school because of a H & S concern. This was just invented by a teacher. The problem is that once it gets published in some awful rag like the Daily Mail it tends to develop a life of its own.

I always think of a discussion I had with my Dad about H & S, in which he recounted a series of terrible tales about people he'd seen killed or injured at work, due to appalling standards and an attitude that workplace death is an inevitable by-product of business. We now have relatively safe workplaces in this country, for which we should be thanking those who developed H & S legislation.

Did that get a bit ranty?
thank you- I was about to put up a very similar post myself..........

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
....invoked common sense.....
I'm sure that the present incumbent in the UK prime ministerial role quoted pretty much that mantra in his early days in office. I have no idea whether it has filtered though to the sueing masses yet, however.

My son receives multiple daily text messages encouraging him to make claims for his mis-sold PPI and following "that car accident" he was involved in.
However, he is only 15 and has been involved in neither. :w00t:

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
It all went downhill the moment MacDonalds was sued because they didn't warn a customer they might scald themselves with their coffee. I'm in favour of useful health and safety but not rank profiteering

I'm not bothered about the Golden Arches getting into legal difficulty as such but there's not much schadenfruede to be had when the judicial wrangle is over whether they have to treat their customers like cretins and inform them that hot coffee is likely to be hot or that packets of nuts may contain nuts, for that matter

navarro

I'm sure that the present incumbent in the UK prime ministerial role quoted pretty much that mantra in his early days in office. I have no idea whether it has filtered though to the sueing masses yet, however.

My son receives multiple daily text messages encouraging him to make claims for his mis-sold PPI and following "that car accident" he was involved in.
Hi Mandy Re that `accident` I get the calls regularly usually at night. I joined the No cold calls or mail organisation but it has proved futile re accident line. I now answer the call with,` You know you are breaking the law ref.cold calling and they immediately put the phone down. ` I have also reported them to OFCOM and they took all the details. But those b----y nuisances keep ringing. Best Regds. Disgruntled N.

Sunray

I agree with the title and many of the comments to this thread ...

------

My view is a just simple one ...

Give generously:

"To those in need" and "Remember our all of those who have fallen in an attempt to make our world a better place for all of us"

As for the Poppy ...

I prefer to give [and remember] without the need to wear the emblem, so I don't take one ...

Cheers one and all ... *Big Wave* :thumb:

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
I have been trying to find a poppy which I have seen in the past which has a non-staining adhesive which affixes it to your clothes they were sold in packs of twelve. Anyone come across them. Regds N.

Update I have now found the stickons in a shopping centre. The volunteer seller a very elderly Ex-Paratrooper also had Poppies and pins.

I asked him what he thought about this Borough (Extremely H and S conscious.) advising vendors not to supply pins . His retort sharp and sweet `B------t. Well done old soldier.

I must add that our public library where I normally purchase my Poppy are not providing this facility. Reason It might offend people who do not understand this tradition.

What an answer. I said I don`t understand quantum physics but I am not offended by books on the subject. The Librarian did not have a sense of humour and just shrugged. regds N.
Sense of humour bypass is common with this sort of person.

Tenor Viol

Subscriber

I've edited the original reply as I was in real rant mode. :blush: Let's just say that whilst the institutions deserve hauling over the coals for PPI, the claim farm companies are pariahs.

Let's just say that I am nearer the inside of PPI than most. The claim farm companies are locusts looking to make a fast buck, assisted by a stupidly constructed system that almost encourages fraud.

If you have a claim, download the form yourself, fill it in and post it in and put these pariahs out of business.

I've had two calls this last week - one saying I'm owed thousands in PPI and the other referring to my recent accident. I've had neither.

Grumpy rant ends...

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
I've been to Gallipoli (part of a big archaeology tour of Turkey I went on). Having seen the terrain, the ANZACs didn't stand a chance. Ataturk raised a large memorial to their memory.

One of my great uncles was killed in the last week of WWI.

Greg Strange

Greg,
All fallen during the first World War and later are remembered on the Sunday nearest November 11th. In the Folk Clubs, the heart breaking "No man's land" and "The band played Waltzing Mathilda" will be sung, so the ANZACS are remembered for Churchill's Gallipoli fiasco and all the other actions that they and other Commonwealth troops were involved in.
Cheers Bill, we salute you.

israel5.jpg

(Don't mess with her - she's hot, but dangerous)

Greg S.

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
But those b----y nuisances keep ringing. Best Regds. Disgruntled N.

A whistle blown down the phone is supposed to be discouraging. A sax might be more appropriate for you, though a hands-free device for the phone - or sax, I suppose - might be useful. Perhaps a descant recorder?

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
A whistle blown down the phone is supposed to be discouraging. A sax might be more appropriate for you, though a hands-free device for the phone - or sax, I suppose - might be useful. Perhaps a descant recorder?
nah - good idea, but what you want is a garklein recorder - even higher pitched >:)

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom