support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Gutted - how long does it take to fix dent in bell?

They play amazing well for what they are...
I've only heard the samples on youtube but they do sound very nice with an exceptional smooth quality to the tone. To my ear it would lend itself well to classical pieces. What mpc do you find works well for it?
I ask as I'm not a fan of the "French" sound and only some American horns. I much prefer a more mellow dark tone.

I use the Rousseau classic (I think) mouthpiece. Only had it a couple of months but very impressed. Also tried several; others but have settled on the Rousseau. I may try other Rousseau mouthpieces especially for my Martin Master

If you`d seen some of the dents in my 14M , you`d not worry , one of them looked like it was struck downwards on a sharp piece of metal as it was a combination of deep gouge in the brass and the hard edged trough-like dent it made, I didn`t think anyone could do anything with that but after Charlie Connolly had seen to it, it now just looks like a deep scratch . I was amazed ... the lovely thing about sops is that they`re just brass cones, no bow to get in the way making the job harder .

If you tell them how precious the thing is and that you`re a mod on CafeSax and have been recommended for their top notch dent pulling , I`m sure they`ll turn it around in no time for a minimal fee :D .. Whatever, it`ll be a doddle compared to my 14M and even more so some of the brass band instruments they`ve had to kick back into shape over the decades.

Update, just heard from Connolly's, I'm having a run out on Sat and they will have a look at it for me :)

Think of the dent as a bit of character. Or maybe that's what I have to think when I look in the mirror. O.K., have it fixed, but I like the little dings in the 96-year-old alto I recently received. Makes me wonder where they came from; dim basement in a speakeasy on Chicago's southside? Incident in a New Orleans brothel? My imagination, of course; an old geezer probably dropped his dentures on it.

Well an early start and I was at Connollys by 9.30, he had a look at the ding, put a leak light down it and found a couple of leaks. I left it with him and found somewhere to do a bit of shopping, just having a coffee and got a text to say it was ready all in an hour, small mark but much better:)

Big thank you to @Ads for the recommend and @griff136 for putting my mind at ease.

Jx

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ads
Glad it's fixed. Is your shoulder better so you can play again? Also a bonus when you find some shopping :)

Good to hear. Is it playing better with the leaks gone?
Not had a chance to play it yet, will try when I get home:)

The best way to judge that would be before and after sound clips posted here... wouldn't it Jeanette?
It would but don't hold your breath:mrcool

Great News Jeanette. Perhaps a blessing in disguise, getting back a leak free horn. See if a lighter touch works, much better for the technique.:thumb:
Yes that will help arm too:)
Ready for IOTM, then.
You know that won't happen anytime soon:sax:

Glad it's fixed. Is your shoulder better so you can play again? Also a bonus when you find some shopping :)
Yes found a new top and a present for my sister in law:)

Jx

Back
Top Bottom