support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Gutted: split mouthpiece

Colin the Bear

A few months ago I found a lovely old Lelandais alto mouthpiece and it changed my alto playing for the better. Effortless projection and a sweet versatile tone with good intonation top to bottom with very little input.

I went to play it today and picked out a new reed and found the reed hard and unresponsive. I put it to one side and selected another from the box. Same. Not wanting to root through the whole box or start scraping reeds I picked another reed from another box, different make. Same. Hard, stuffy, unresponsive. I checked over the alto. Nothing obvious. Wash out the mouthpiece. Always the last thing I think of. A quick rinse under the tap and a brush out with a soft toothbrush. When I was wiping it dry I heard a click. Odd. I searched out my reading glasses and had a closer look.

There's a crack a from the tip all the way along the beak, back to the body of the chamber. Gutted doesn't really cover it. Probably 70/80 years old and not a mark on it and it splits on my watch.

The search is back on. I think I'll stick to metal or plastic.

Here's where your handwork skills come in. Get a tube of waterweld, put a groove in the piece along the crack with a dremel, fill, sand.

Once this is solid, do the same, but really carefully for the tip. And make sure there isn't a crack on the inside of the shank that can leak and make notes unstable.

One ungutted Colin.:sax::happydance::banana:

Arghhhh. Not good.

I was going to suggest thinking about repair, but kev has beaten me to it even as I type...

Alternatively, a new member (Danny) designs mouthpieces... maybe he'd be interested in using it to clone new ones as a commercial proposition - with a freebee for you for supplying a copyright-free super duper playing mp...

Or you could go into business yourself...

I get the feeling that split or the beginnings of it were there when you picked it up and may have been the cause of why it was sounding dead and stuffy , it was no longer solid .

Oh Colin that's very sad. I hope you find something that you love to replace it. It would be great if it's fixable. (Is that even a word?)

That's a shame. I think Kev's right, though, you may well be able to make a viable repair, and you've got nothing to lose. If I were you, I'd give it a go.

@aldevis That's very kind. I'll PM my address. I'm looking forward to the Rico pass arounds to arrive. They're at the top end of my budget but if one works I'll have to work it and make it pay for itself.

I thought about dropping some superglue down the crack of the lelandais. The Cyano acrylic (cyanide) bit gave me pause. Is it safe in the mouth? It's gone back in the mouthpiece drawer while I think what to do with it.

It's very odd how the old Ben Davis I used for ages just doesn't cut it any more. I'm trying an old, 1940's I think, white plastic, Selmer Goldentone that came with an old alto I bought on ebay. Apparently Lester Young played the tenor version. It's a bit reed sensitive but has possibilities.

Meanwhile I'm lurking on ebay.

@aldevis

I thought about dropping some superglue down the crack of the lelandais. The Cyano acrylic (cyanide) bit gave me pause. Is it safe in the mouth? It's gone back in the mouthpiece drawer while I think what to do with it.

I wouldn't use superglue for something that's going to be in your mouth. If you are going to attempt a repair, I'd go for JB Weld Waterweld. Very carefully file open the crack - definitely a reading glasses job!. A thin wheel on a dremel going as slow as possible should do it. Then force in some Waterweld. You could use an old sop reed split in two lengthways as a spatula. Apply a little pressure to hold it stable, but not so much it squeezes the Waterweld out like toothpaste. Maybe a loose-ish fitted jubilee clip - as a fellow biker you must have a few of them kicking around. Then once it's set, carefully file down. Last time I did anything like this I made up a sort of file by gluing some fine emery paper to the back of half a spring peg nicked from the laundry basket.

Colin, of the passarounds, I have a feeling you`ll like the 6 .. these pieces have more character than the bog standard links (or the Yani HRs going by the tenor piece I had) , may suit, you must be pretty high up on the list for the passaround .

Colin, of the passarounds, I have a feeling you`ll like the 6 .. these pieces have more character than the bog standard links (or the Yani HRs going by the tenor piece I had) , may suit, you must be pretty high up on the list for the passaround .

I hope other people on the list don't mind if Colin jumps the cue. Shall I ask?