All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

guilty pleasures

Mack

Slow day at work - discussing guilty pleasures - mine turned out to be playing INXS at loud volumes in the car on the way back from work (usually listen to to top notch soul-ska and jazz). However it struck me how good Kirk Pengilly's sax playing is - not complex tri-tone inversion bebop whatever - but all his sax solos (a) suit the song (b) are very different in character from song to song and most importantly are (c) short (impress and leave them wanting more).

What is your guilty music pleasure and what redeems it?

P.S. Never experienced top-notch soul-ska? Check out Transitions by Westbound Train.

Stephen Howard

My guilty pleasure is listening to what I call old 'rooty-tooty' bands. These date from around the 1930s.
I guess a lot of listeners wouldn't consider them to be jazz, or even anything particularly special - with song titles like "When my do-do-doodle makes me noo-noo-noodle" and "Bingly bangly bungly means I love you".
But what redeems these jolly pieces is the precision with with the horn sections play in unison. Each piece will, typically, feature a 'hot section' where either the saxes or the brass play a unision written solo, and it's always bang on in tempo and tuning.

Regards,

compound

Listening to King Curtis at full blast in the car when the wife isn't with me, especialy the CD where he plays all the old Sam Cooke songs. To me the man is awesome. His version of Shake is awe inspiring with that vocal approach he used, iv'e never heard anyone growl better than him. To all the younger player's on the cafe, check him out you won't be sorry, i admit it's a bit dated for the younger folk's but you have to admire his sound and technique.
Rob.

compound

Hi steve,
Just got a good rollocking off the wife for tapping onthe table while listening to that record. Remind's me of the stuff my dad used to have, in fact those type of songs are what started me drumming aged about eight, and iv'e never stopped.
Cheers Rob.

Sweet Dreamer

I don't get the guilty pleasures thing. I never feel guilty about any pleasure.
Yeah truly, where do all these guilt complexes come from for doing nothing more than enjoying the pleasures of life? :D

Having said that, I have been having some anxieties over having not played the saxophone for over a week now. I put it away in the case last week whilst cleaning up and it's been in the case ever since. :shocked:

The main reason that I haven't gotten back into it is because I've been focusing on playing the drums lately. I'm learning some new grooves, rudiments, and techniques on the drums and I'm kind of on a roll with that (if you'll excuse the pun). I'm making quite a bit of progress on the drums right now, but the sax is suffering the loneliness of abandonment. :)))

Well, it's still been on my mind, but I just can't seem to break my drum addiction at the moment. I've made some major breakthroughs in my drumming skills and so I've been basking in the pleasure of the new-found grooves and rudiments.

DyerA12

Um, I have a ridiculously eclectic group of music that I listen to so I'll just go on an at the moment basis.
The Budos Band (because like any band with a funky drum, trumpet, and bari sax line and Jared Tankel comes up with some kicking solos). I've also been a fan of Dubstep as well because I like converting the computed bass and everything into kit and what not. Also, The Maine is a really good too at the moment, they're an alternative rock/pop band with great musicians, I really respect all of them and what they stand for as people so that's pretty cool.

DyerA12

Yeah truly, where do all these guilt complexes come from for doing nothing more than enjoying the pleasures of life? :D

Having said that, I have been having some anxieties over having not played the saxophone for over a week now. I put it away in the case last week whilst cleaning up and it's been in the case ever since. :shocked:

The main reason that I haven't gotten back into it is because I've been focusing on playing the drums lately. I'm learning some new grooves, rudiments, and techniques on the drums and I'm kind of on a roll with that (if you'll excuse the pun). I'm making quite a bit of progress on the drums right now, but the sax is suffering the loneliness of abandonment. :)))

Well, it's still been on my mind, but I just can't seem to break my drum addiction at the moment. I've made some major breakthroughs in my drumming skills and so I've been basking in the pleasure of the new-found grooves and rudiments.
I can understand your drum addiction! I started playing kit a few months ago from the ever so talented Dave Wonsey and couldn't get enough of set for a few weeks. Just playing basic rhythms, grooves, and fills and just playing along with whatever I can workout from my favorite songs. I've basically worked it down to practicing every other day on sax and the ones I don't play sax on I play kit.

compound

I've been playing drum's all my life and that's the first time i've ever heard it being called playing kit. But times change and descriptions alter, by the way at the moment i play on a Roland electronic kit, not the largest they do but ample ,
5 piece, crash, ride, H/H. Plus 32 kit's programed in. Very good sound's and no messing about damping bass drums and snares, the cymbals are not as good as the real thing but there passable. The drum sizes are smaller than acoustic ones but that only makes you more accurate when your moving at speed. Best thing is they have headphones, play anywhere anytime.
Best of luck in playing kit!. Rob.

compound

Sweet Dreamer what sort of kit are you learning on, just curious, by the way if we don't stop talking about drumming we will end up getting drummed (excuse the pun) out of the cafe.
Good luck.
Rob.

Sweet Dreamer

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
guilty pleasures- don't really feel guilty but my Ipod boasts- shakira, toxic by britney spears (great use of a bollywood string sample), hawkwind, lots of new model army etc... a good array to horrify jazzers or cool people!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Must admit that I've swung away from rock. But my secret pleasure would be Julian Bream, except when he's playing the lute. .

thehunt

I got on vinyl for Christmas, The Union by Elton John and Leon Russell, beautiful. My real guilty pleasure in listening to Long live the King by Rainbow at full blast.
I also like singing along to Barry Manilow :blush:
Phil.

dooce

Disco/funk. The whole 9 yards of loon panted, fur-hatted, George Clinton over-the-topness. Had a lovely evening on Friday you-tubing Parliament, Earth Wind and Fire, Ohio Players etc.

To be fair, there's plenty of aspirational sax-playing going on there as well.......

AlanU

Guilty pleasures in music, oh yes lots.
Except I don't feel guilty now. My previous snobbery/compartmentalism/elitism, whatever you call it seems to have disolved with the years.
I loved Stephen Howard's example by Jack Hylton. I've always liked Miff Mole's recordings, and that sort of stuff that has been unfashionable since about five years after it was recorded.

I've always liked Morris music, especially by the likes of The Albion Band et al.
Perfect pop like 'The Letter', by The Boxtops.

But most of all I love Gilbert & Sullivan operettas.
They were out of date when they were new and therefore had a nostalgic charm which is even more true now, to me at least.
Added to that is the fact that they are satirical of society then, which is still applicable today. Every production is updated to include current events/characters.
To see them at The Savoy theatre is a real treat. The theatrical spectacle and a real pit orchestra playing those ridiculously difficult arrangements is wonderful.

Oh, did I forget to mention the great tunes?
I love the noise it makes. That's what counts.

Plus it's fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom