support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Guest Spot

ChillyMike

Café Supporter
Locality
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
As a beginner wanting to have some fun while learning I decided to get one of those "Guest Spot" book/cd set. You get a book containing the dots and the CD with the backing tracks. The backing tracks have two versions, - one with, and one without the Sax part. This is useful if you are rubbish at reading music as you can listen to the backing track with the sax part and follow the dots and also train the ear at the same time. Once you have learned the dots and the song, you can have fun playing as the only sax on the other backing track.

The first book I chose was James Bond themes. Probably not the best choice for a newbie, but I have always loved this music and so far have managed to work my way through "Live and Let Die" in a few days, and its helping me read music and have fun at the same time.

Some songs are harder than others, so I am breaking them down into smaller pieces and learning each piece methodically, then putting a few pieces together.

Its a fun way of learning. I should probably be going up and down scales, but I do find this more fun!

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I have the Great Ballads and also a Bob Mintzer 15 Easy Jazz Blues Funk similar principle

Jx

Sunray

Locality
Norfolk, UK
I have:

Guest Spot:- 21 Great Songs, Chart Toppers, James bond, The Beatles, 20 Great Jazz Greats and Elton John in the same series ...

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
I have loads of the Guest spot books, they can be straightforward or challenging. They suit most abilities.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
They sound very much like the "Music Minus One" series we have in the states. There is no better way to improve and grow as a musician than to play along with and try to emulate a better player. The key is listening.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
I have:

Guest Spot:- 21 Great Songs, Chart Toppers, James bond, The Beatles, 20 Great Jazz Greats and Elton John in the same series ...
Elton John? Suddenly I see you in a different light.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
My brother was an Elton John fan during his teens, back in the 70s. I was into Beethoven and Mozart at the time (I'm 2 years older than him). Unlike me, he was also a fashion victim with ridiculous trousers and shoes...

Sunray

Locality
Norfolk, UK
Elton John? Suddenly I see you in a different light.

I don't blame you either mate ...

I am an old fella and have somewhat old fashioned views about some things in life ...

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
Nothing wrong with Birmingham bags and platforms, cheesecloth shirts ! ;)
Yes, he had the two-tone Oxford bags, the two-tone platform shoes... I must see if I have a pic somewhere and give my nephews a few chortles...

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
There are quite a lot of books that come with decent backing tracks and provide options for with and without the solo, not just the Music Minus 1 - which have been going for decades - and Guest Spot. Some have a tempo changer enabling you to slow down/speed up without affecting pitch.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
There are quite a lot of books that come with decent backing tracks and provide options for with and without the solo, not just the Music Minus 1 - which have been going for decades - and Guest Spot. Some have a tempo changer enabling you to slow down/speed up without affecting pitch.
you can download the ABRSM speed shifter app - on PC or smartphone, tablet etc...that will vary the speed of any track without affecting the pitch too - very helpful when you are trying to get to grips with a faster piece.

ChillyMike

Café Supporter
Locality
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
I also have this IOS app
Learn That Song (REMIX Edition) — Slow down music, change the key, and loop [previously iLift] by rCreativ
https://appsto.re/gb/5qu31.i

It's good for speed changes with or without pitch changes, great for learning with. I have it on iPad and iPhone, don't know if it's PMC based or not.

fastrak1

Locality
Clinton Washington...USA
There are quite a lot of books that come with decent backing tracks and provide options for with and without the solo,

@tenorviol

Wow...I have been living in a alternate universe...Anything like that I would love to know about!
I keep looking for other good backing tracks but there is a steep learning curve that sometimes can get very expensive...

Thanks in advance!
Charles

Lesley

Locality
Shelley Beach South Africa
As a beginner wanting to have some fun while learning I decided to get one of those "Guest Spot" book/cd set. You get a book containing the dots and the CD with the backing tracks. The backing tracks have two versions, - one with, and one without the Sax part. This is useful if you are rubbish at reading music as you can listen to the backing track with the sax part and follow the dots and also train the ear at the same time. Once you have learned the dots and the song, you can have fun playing as the only sax on the other backing track.

The first book I chose was James Bond themes. Probably not the best choice for a newbie, but I have always loved this music and so far have managed to work my way through "Live and Let Die" in a few days, and its helping me read music and have fun at the same time.

Some songs are harder than others, so I am breaking them down into smaller pieces and learning each piece methodically, then putting a few pieces together.

Its a fun way of learning. I should probably be going up and down scales, but I do find this more fun!
I have quite a few Guest Spot books for both clarinet and sax...i reckon they good as my sight reading and ear "reading" have improved.

Top Bottom