All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Guess the maker

littlemisscritical

Okay, I know this isn't technically a technical question, but I figure since you guys know your way around the business end of a sax, you would be the best people to help me.

I'm currently on the hunt for a tenor sax, having wanted to move from alto to tenor since before I got an alto (but was assured that alto was 'easier' to learn on, and since I was teaching myself, I thought I'd better not run before I could walk). Anyway, I digress - I'm a student on a budget and so I don't have that wide a choice what I go for.

However, I have been offered a nickel sax, seemingly only in need of a good polish for 200 (at this point I should probably admit to having a bit if a thing for nickel sax's - what can I say, I like the shiny silver...). The only issue with this sax is that at the moment, I have no idea who the maker is. All the seller (not a sax expert obviously) is able to tell me, is that it has a large B engraved on the bell.

Not a lot to go on, I know, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the make of this sax, and whether or not its something I should go for?

Or, should I go for a Yamaha YTS-21 I've been offered for 150?

HELP!

griff136

Okay, I know this isn't technically a technical question, but I figure since you guys know your way around the business end of a sax, you would be the best people to help me.

I'm currently on the hunt for a tenor sax, having wanted to move from alto to tenor since before I got an alto (but was assured that alto was 'easier' to learn on, and since I was teaching myself, I thought I'd better not run before I could walk). Anyway, I digress - I'm a student on a budget and so I don't have that wide a choice what I go for.

However, I have been offered a nickel sax, seemingly only in need of a good polish for 200 (at this point I should probably admit to having a bit if a thing for nickel sax's - what can I say, I like the shiny silver...). The only issue with this sax is that at the moment, I have no idea who the maker is. All the seller (not a sax expert obviously) is able to tell me, is that it has a large B engraved on the bell.

Not a lot to go on, I know, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the make of this sax, and whether or not its something I should go for?

Or, should I go for a Yamaha YTS-21 I've been offered for 150?

HELP!
if its this sax youve ben offered for 200 quid http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260832842482&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 then I would definately go for the yamaha!

the large B on the bell means its probably a Bently saxophone - chinese made and if you look in the accessories compartment there's a pair of white gloves - definately chinese and definately not worth half the amount you should spend on that yamaha - Get the yamaha!!

Last edited by a moderator:

littlemisscritical

That's the one. I should have just included an item number and made life easier. The other one isn't on ebay, and so far I haven't been sent any pictures :confused:, just a description which sounds a little too good to be true considering the other yamaha's I've looked at have been way over my budget.

Thanks for the advice. I think I was just being distracted by the shiny silver rather than thinking logically.

Definitely best plunking for the Yamaha then? And if I do, any hints on what kind of performance/playability I can expect from it?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Real silver plating is much nicer than nickel. And if you have a nickel allergy hiding away, it'll cause problems..

With any used sax, you need to budget for a tune up. And it's only once a technician has had a look that you'll know what you need to spend. Ideally you should play it first, but if the Yamaha plays top to bottom and doesn't rattle too much, it's a bargain. If you can't see/play it first, make sure you get lots of photos and check condition - a few minor dings don't matter, but bent keys/distorted body are different. Take a really critical look at the pads as well. Changing a couple isn't too expensive, but a complete overhaul is...

griff136

Ask Rick AKA Maneast re the yamaha 21 horns - I repadded one with black kangaroo skin pads for a freind of his and Ricky said to me " it makes you wonder why we pay thousands for horns when you can pick up a yamaha 21 for under £500 that plays just as well"!
if you dont get the yas 21 can you let the forum know where we can buy it!!

Get it before it goes - spend £50 getting it toroughly checked over - you'll have a good horn that will hold its value
, have spare parts that are fairly easy to get hold of and youll also have something that plays way better and more in tune than the Bently.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
A note of caution about sales through Gumtree (if that's where you've seen the Yamaha) - there are more than a few scams on the go involving fraudulent or non-existent items as well as payments made through Paypal. Make sure you (or someone on your behalf) can see the the sax in the flesh, and try it if at all possible........

Cheers,

Amanda

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom