All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Growling

musicalchemist

I've been practicing the use of growling in my playing, but I find that it's much harder to do than I had anticipated. I can flutter tongue with the best of them, but I never really had any instruction on how to properly utilize the growl technique. Any tips on how to get that "growl" sound?

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Can I ask a completely unrelated question.... are you Music alchemist, or musical chemist?? >:)

Just wondered?? :D

rockplayer

practice growling using different notes while you're humming as well, you can go from a bright buzzing sound by humming a high note (almost like a scream) and then get some very cool rumbling tones (similar to flutter tonguing) by humming a low note.

musicalchemist

To the question about my name, it's Music Alchemist, it's actually a portmanteau of musical and alchemist. Link the AL at the end of musical and the beginning of alchemist, and there you have it.

thomsax

I've been practicing the use of growling in my playing, but I find that it's much harder to do than I had anticipated. I can flutter tongue with the best of them, but I never really had any instruction on how to properly utilize the growl technique. Any tips on how to get that "growl" sound?
I listened to your sound clip and I understand that you find it easier to do the fluttertone than the growl. You have a clean tone and I guess you take less mouthpiece. This is a must to do the fluttertone. I think you should try to growl "more up in your head" instead of "down in your throat". Send me a PM and I'll give you an e-mail adress to a player who is a master when it comes to this.

I can't do the fluttertone because I take more mouthpiece. I have no problem doing the growl deep down in my throat. This can be hard to your throat! Beside I've always been a saxplayer with a "dirty and greasy" tone. I just sounds like that.

Thomas

thomsax

You might want to listen to this, as a great example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhVFK9tYu84&feature=related
Great! That's Ron Dziubla, CA, playing. A good player with a very intense tone/sound. He is using a Dukoff mpc (I think it's a D-chamber). I have some of his CD's. He has played with Rick Holmstrom, Kid Ramos, Janiva Magness ..... . The other month he shared stage with Sax Gordon! I wonder how that was?

Thomas

Kingsleyhk

I also have a D7 for my tenor - but that's about as far as the comparison goes! But he is a great player - very much following in the footsteps of Steve Douglas, Plas Johnson and Jim Horn with Duane Eddy. Amazing that he (Duane) is still going strong.

A friend of mine who has lived in Hong Kong for many years went to see them at a show in Glasgow last year. He managed t talk himself backstage and got a great chat with Duane in his dressing room - apparently an absolute prince.

jbtsax

Subscriber
To the question about my name, it's Music Alchemist, it's actually a portmanteau of musical and alchemist. Link the AL at the end of musical and the beginning of alchemist, and there you have it.
Thank you. I learned a new word to add to my vocabulary today.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Alchemist? It refers to Al, a chemist of Huguenot origins that used to have a portmanteau in his pharmacy.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom