All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Greetings.

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
Howdy. Checking out mpc options for another tenor ( hopefully delivered tommorrow ) ; it seemed a good idea to join the cafe. Seems I came in just after Debs , daughter of the great Red Price. What a great player !
Many Thanks
Malachi

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
Welcome. Tell us about your new tenor.

OP
Adrian63

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
Thanks Nigel. Nothing too special my friend ; A Beuscher " truetone " albeit in reasonable condition. I am kind of undecided right now what to settle on ; RS Berkley / further vintage Conn , King ? That Super 20 posted is a beauty but ten grand : ouch ! Yup undecided Sir horn and mpc but no hurry. The truetone will bide me over.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Locality
France
Grit inks to you! And Welcome too.

You're going to love it here. Mark my words. See you around.

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
Thanks Nigel. Nothing too special my friend ; A Beuscher " truetone " albeit in reasonable condition. I am kind of undecided right now what to settle on ; RS Berkley / further vintage Conn , King ? That Super 20 posted is a beauty but ten grand : ouch ! Yup undecided Sir horn and mpc but no hurry. The truetone will bide me over.
Nothing wrong with a TrueTone. They’re lovely old things.

OP
Adrian63

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
Thanks folks.
The Beuscher arrived this morning ; a quick coffee and a browse before I unbox it and carry on. @ GJ77 : Yeah , they are great old horns , well priced and exactly what I need for now. I'll take some shots of it in time. Have a great day all.
Later
M

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Locality
Breda
Hi Malachi, welcome to the café!

I hope you'll have fun here, get new inspiration, learn and contribute. I'm still not much of a sax player but if I can do it, I'm sure that you can too:).

Mike

OP
Adrian63

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
Thanks Mike....pretty sure I've been to Breda many years back though my failing memory had it in Belgium. I'm pretty sure I can " do it "... been trying for twenty years and still useless. However " Rome wasn't built in a day "
Best
M

OP
Adrian63

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
Speaking of that Super 20 posted ; am I right in thinking the sellers " Headwind " are in Bristol ? @nigeld : you should pop in and give it a blast mate , let us know how a ten grand horn shapes up.
Other than horns supposedly once belonging to great players ( Coleman Hawkins , Joe Henderson , Bob Berg ) ; this has got to be the most expensive I've seen unless anybody knows different .
Have a great day
Best
M

OP
Adrian63

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
Said horn has it seems...
" An unparalleled clarity underpinned by a thick creamy foundation " ?
What nonsense !
Still want it though !
M

nigeld

Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
Speaking of that Super 20 posted ; am I right in thinking the sellers " Headwind " are in Bristol ? @nigeld : you should pop in and give it a blast mate , let us know how a ten grand horn shapes up.
I'm a GASaholic. What if I really loved it? No way am I going to expose myself to that sort of temptation! :oops:

Headwind is a great shop. They had a Martin Committee II alto recently that I did have a blow on. Very nice, but luckily it didn't please me more than my S1.

OP
Adrian63

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
But what about that thick creamy foundation ?....surely that must tempt you ?
I'd be more inclined to buy if the blurb read " Man this horn is hot s*** with extra hot sizzle dudes "
Maybe that is why I don't have my very own sax emporium. Maybe one day.
M

Last edited:

nigeld

Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
The thick creamy foundation does not tempt me, but the seemingly unnatural marriage of bright and dark does sound attractive.

OP
Adrian63

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
An interesting concept indeed @nigeld.
If money were no issue ( wouldn't that be a blast ! ) I wonder who out of us would buy this specemin ? I'm kind of torn ; if it plays as nice as it looks ? Still torn but can't help but wonder.
The days news...
I have been invited to Davy Jones' sax store in Holland , 20km outside of Amsterdam. I had my eye on a tenorsax he was offloading ; ( he is also keeping eyes and ears open as to a tenorsax mpc. ) Covid and travel are a major issue right now as we all know , but in time the opportunity to pick up an outfit whilst enjoying some Dutch hospitality sounds great.
Enjoy your evening man
Best
M

nigeld

Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
The Headwind King is priced as a collector's horn rather than a player's horn. I'm happy with cheaper and scruffier.

Your potential trip to the Netherlands sounds fun, but expensive!

OP
Adrian63

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
@nigeld .Good Afternoon : hope you are well on this beautiful day.
That to me seems odd to say the least. I really don't see the point in spending that much on a horn for the sake of adding it to your " collection " regardless of how wealthy you may be. If I were to own it I doubt I could stop myself from playing.
Would I want to own it ? Rhetoric !! Of course I would but there is no chance of that...I couldn't possibly afford it and yeah " cheaper and scruffier " does me too.

On the subject of expensive horns I have been trying to remember a company going back maybe ten years . I seem to remember they were Swiss based ? Not a lot to go on I know. They did an unlaquered tenorsax which was real nice though i haven't heard of them since. Why they didnt take off I don't know . ( Maybe they are few and far between . I remember they handmade very few with a long wait . ) Answers on a postcard please.
The price of some horns has become ridiculous. I bought my first" Selmer 6 "along with an " Adolphe " bari . £850 for the pair...should have kept them amongst others.

As to the Holland trip ? I will certainly take Davy up on his kind offer at sometime.
Expensive ? Yup ! But would be groovy nonetheless.
Safe and Happy Day y'all
Best
M

OP
Adrian63

Adrian63

Formerly Malachi
Locality
United Kingdom
Paragraph 2 / Inderbinnen ( sic ? ). Just came to me...
Anybody have one ? Tried one ? Swiss made ?

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6