Greetings from Zurich

Mark Hancock

Hi, I got back into playing a few months ago, and I'm finally making a bit of progress mainly thanks to building myself a practice booth in basement. I have also been trying my hand at recording myself, and I am hope I can post them here and get some tips on how to improve.
Cheers, Mark

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
Welcome Mark, your first recording posted is very nice. "Got back into playing", so, I take it you were interrupted in playing by the vagaries of life? Certainly not lack of interest?

OP
Mark Hancock

Mark Hancock

Welcome Mark, your first recording posted is very nice. "Got back into playing", so, I take it you were interrupted in playing by the vagaries of life? Certainly not lack of interest?
Thank you Randulo, I played in the past but not regularly, mainly because I always lived in apartment blocks. Then the family got a bit bigger etc. :) I still live in an apartment, but had a bit of a mid life crisis or something like that last year and resolved it by building a practice booth in the basement, which was a great project in itself and was a complete game changer for my saxophone playing.

You're right it was definitely not lack of interest (although maybe lack of direction to some extent).

randulo

Subscriber
We were really lucky twice in our choice of where we lived, and lucky to have the choice. In the previous apartment, I was learning upright bass and that carries through the wall and floor, but we had a garage on one side and underneath, and the neighbors were across a veranda and never were bothered. This new place is a small house in the city with other houses sharing walls, but I've spoken to both sides and told them if they are ever bothered to let me know. One side never hears it and the other is a charming young woman who says "It's music!", which is kind and generous when speaking of my saxophone practicing. If this were not the case, I'd need to do a Sonny Rollins and practice under the bridge.

OP
Mark Hancock

Mark Hancock

I've also been quite lucky with understanding neighbours, but still always felt self conscious about practicing and would generally just end up playing melodies and avoiding the long tones, overtones, technical exercises or anything that sounds bad. Really it's those things that sound bad that should we be practicing right?! I did explain once to my neighbour that if I'm sounding good I'm probably not practicing the right stuff!

I really love the upright bass. Not really enough room (or time) for one of those! I did get an electric bass a while back. I can manage a simple 2 feel line. Feels great, and gives another level of understanding of the harmony, and timing, which must help the sax playing in some way.

randulo

Subscriber
Yes, the thing about the bass is, you can play one simple line and it sounds great if you have good time and a feel for it. I agree too, that one is self-conscious about practicing knowing that someone can hear, and then you want to play something nice you can already play well, which makes that NOT practice :)

Top Bottom