All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Greetings from Warwickshire

DREX

Hi
I’m David, originally from Ireland, but have spent most of my working life here in the UK. I'm the wrong side of sixty (64) maybe not quite a fossil, but getting there. I never had the opportunity or indeed the time to learn to read music or play an instrument ,so decided that I better make a start before departing for that great Jazz cafe in the sky. I have always loved jazz and in particular the sound of the sax so decided to give the alto a try.
My music journey started about a year ago with a weekly lesson at our local music school on a rented, well used and abused student horn. After six months I was hooked and decided to spend some of the kids inheritance by splashing out on a shiny new 991 Yanagisawa. My decision to go for the Yani was based on their reputation for build ergonomics, ease of blowing etc ,and also by the big discount on offer. I have not been disappointed.
I had secretly hoped that once my fingers touched those pearl keys it would unleash A Paul Desmond, or Charlie Parker that was just waiting to get out. Alas, that was not the case and I am now continuing with fortnightly lessons and working my way through “Andy Hampton’s Saxophone Basics”, “ A New TuneADAY” as well as blowing a few tunes that my family can recognise e.g. Moon river, Bye Bye Blackbird. So progress to date not too bad , but along way off from soloing Baker Street or Take Five.
Cheers All and I look forward to contributing to the forum

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Welcome to the Madhouse!

Look forward to hearing how you're getting on.

Cheers,

Amanda

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Hi Drex, Welcome to the Café, also to the world of saxophone playing. There are quite a few late starters around this forum.. So you should feel at home..

Chris...

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Drex, not only are there a few new starters in the Cafe, but three are a few cafe members in Shakespeares own fine county. Welcome from one of them, here in Rugby.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi David, welcome. There's a fair proportion of late starters here, me included.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, drex.

Isn't drex what happened to Charlie One and kicked off the Troubles? Whatever keep Yannying.

ENJOY!

TomMapfumo

Hi Drex!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Hot Five down by yer in South Wales, mind!
So, are you learning an alto or a tenor sax? If you are playing A New Tune A Day I assume it is an alto sax - the sax for teenagers!

Glad to have you as a member and hope that you are able to achieve your goals in learning/playing sax.
Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

dooce

Hi David, welcome; same age and just over the frontier in Northants. Let us know how you are getting on. Like that idea of spending the kids inheritance on saxophones (oh bugger, I just remembered I have already......)

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom