support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Greetings from the west country

pixelpolice

Good afternoon to all the Café Saxophone users. My name is Christian; I live in the West Country on the Devon/Somerset border. I am looking to start the sax again, I say again as I tried once before but young kids hampered my practice time. Anyway they are older and I have time on hands so time to start again. So this leads me to the question what horn, I’m looking for a Tenor around £400-500 mark, any recommendations?

+1 for the Bauhaus Walstein advertised - nothing better under £1000, and serious rival to those in the pro bracket (£2000+)

Hi Christian!

A Big Welcome from the Skabertawe Horn Section, over by yer in South Wales, mind! Hope you can hit the ground running when you get back into learning/playing the sax. The big development in recent years is that alot of excellent saxes are made in China & Taiwan, with comparable quality to the old well known brands, which means that you get more for your money on the whole.

Kind regards
Tom

Hi Chris,

Packers in Taunton has a range of good horns and will advise too. I'm playing around the West Country and teaching sax in Exeter so our paths may cross. Come and check out the monthly jazz club with jam session which I organise with another Cafe member, Mack Robinson. Details here.

Pete

Thanx for the warm welcome guys. I found a secondhand tenor Yamaha YTS 23 with 3 berg larsen mouthpieces, 2 stainless steal and one plastic. Not sure if they are any good? The guy who sold it to me said they cost a fair few quid, it belonged to his dad who had not long passed away, he also had a selmer tenor.

Peter, thnx for the invite would love to come and see you play.

Congrats on your new sax - the 23 are pretty good. My tutor used to play one.

What are the Berg models that you got with the sax? Usually they have 2 numbers, such as 110/2 or similar/ The first refers to tip opening as in 0.110". The 2nd numberrefers to internal baffle either 0 1 2 or 3, with 0 being very bright and 3 most mellow. They could be worth a few quid and may be good mouthpieces to play.

The Bergs should be good. Also worth quite a lot second hand, depending on condition. The 'plastic' one is, most likely made of hard rubber, aka ebonite. May look ugly, but even so it's good. Just keep it away from any heat, cos that'll make it go a nice greeny brown colour.

Congrats on your new sax - the 23 are pretty good. My tutor used to play one.

What are the Berg models that you got with the sax? Usually they have 2 numbers, such as 110/2 or similar/ The first refers to tip opening as in 0.110". The 2nd numberrefers to internal baffle either 0 1 2 or 3, with 0 being very bright and 3 most mellow. They could be worth a few quid and may be good mouthpieces to play.

The numbers are a little worn, but the stainless steel looks like it says 3427/8.

The Bergs should be good. Also worth quite a lot second hand, depending on condition. The 'plastic' one is, most likely made of hard rubber, aka ebonite. May look ugly, but even so it's good. Just keep it away from any heat, cos that'll make it go a nice greeny brown colour.

Thanks Kev, wish i had read this post last night before i cleaned in warm water, its now a nice greeny brown colour. Whoops;}

Hi There!

It is either a massive tip opening (3.427") and very mellow sounding, or this most likely means that they are older than you might think and use a different classification. This link might help: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?100472-Berg-Larsen-numbers-85427-8?s=

Thanks Tom,i will have a look.

Berg Larsen did produce a plastic student mouthpiece, which Trevor Jones currently have for sale: http://trevorjonesltd.co.uk/cart/pr...=2472&osCsid=453044f893c69b4897fe77c109eee966 .

Kind regards
Tom

Thanks Tom will have a look. I think i will sell the metal pieces as i think it will be a long time before i will need them.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom