supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Greetings from the west country

aircooledchris

Hey all, im Chris. Just took delivery of my new shiny Selmer Prelude Tenor, not sure if these are any good, but it was all the budget would allow >:)

This begs me to the question, is it ok to leave a saxophone out of its case and on it stand full time? Its such a cool looking instrument, it would be a shame to lock it away.

Advise please?

Cheers

Chris

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Hi Chris, welcome to the cafe :)

It is a lovely horn you got, and it should give you countless hours of fun. I have my saxes on a stand all the time. That is quite all right. Just remember to clean you sax after use to keep it in good condition.

TomMapfumo

Hi Chris!

Welcome to the Cafe. I hope that you are really pleased with your Tenor,and get many happy hours out of learning/playing it!
It is advisable to leave instruments out of their cases, rather than always in the case - gives the air a chance to circulate and any moisture to evaporate, so do have it on view, especially as it looks cool.

Being from Taunton you are quite near John Packer - notable stockists of Brass & Woodwind instruments, who also manufacture their own range of saxes. Several people on the forum play Selmer Prelude saxes, and seem pretty happy with them.
What motivated you to start playing sax, and what sort of music would you like to be playing?

Once again, a hearty welcome from Skabertawe, just over the water.
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Bunny

Yes I'd really endorse all those welcomes to the ste. I am a novieplayer getting back to it after a lot of time off, just waiting for my Vintage Martin Handcraft to be serviced then back to it with a vengeance. Are you a new/novice player...actually just reread your post!!! Read shwoodwind.com Stephen Howard wrote the Haynes manual for Sax, and I am recommending everyone I speak to to get one!!! Iwish I had when I first got a sax!!! In that he says leave tyou sax out if you are sure it is on the tand porperly, safe from the cat etc CANNOT fall..BUT to drape a lint free cloth over it to prevent crud/dust and fibres going into the bell, gumming up the key work..he recommends a very well worn and washed old sheet/duvet cover? Not as aesthetic to look at but better for your baby.
BTW the Haynes manual jS of care stuff I'd never thought of, that experienced people probably have. Cheapest place for it is The Book Depository on line.at £11 free p and p. You can pay up to £20 AND postage elsewhere!! Have you had your selmer set up and sdjusted for you or did you buy it online? No...I didnt know about setting up till recently!!!

Stay in touch Lorna

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Chris

Welcome to the cafe,my elkhart has spent It's life so far on a stand nearly 3yrs so I can just pick it up and blow any time I want.

john

TomMapfumo

Hi Chris!

It is best to remove the mouthpiece from the sax when you have finished playing, and give the mouthpiece a wash and clean and briefly clean and store the reed, if you do not already do this. It saves the cork, stops gunk developing in the mouthpiece and keeps the reed clean.

Kind regards

Little My

Practice makes better.
Hello and welcome!

I keep my saxes in their cases because I have a two year old who is far too interested in them... but in my wild child-free days I kept them on their stands.

Sunray

A Big Hello from Norfolk, UK

Hi Chris ...

Welcome mate ....

I only recently joined these forums, but I have read so much here in the last few days to know that its a great place to meet informed people who love their music and instruments ...

Enjoy mate ... ;}

@ Tom ... lmao Tom ..

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

aircooledchris

Welcome to the caff, Chris.

Air cooled suggests either motorcycle or Beetle engines, but aren't the so called water cooled, air cooled in the end? Of course you could be a fridge or air conditioning engineer.

ENJOY!
Aircooled refers to my love my old beetles and microbuses. Thanx for the kind words.

OP
A

aircooledchris

Hi all thanx for all the kind words much appreciated. Sadly no money in the kitty for lessons at the moment, so bought a copy of jazz method to see me going. I started to work on some scales today LOL sounded bloody awful.

Tom
I have always wanted to learn since going to see my first gig at the age of 16 (Pink Floyd 1988) The sax player was the highlight for me. Not sure what style i want to play, pretty much love all music. Im in place at last that i have time to learn (38).

Cheers

Chris

TomMapfumo

I thought Cornwall was the West COUNTY....................;}
Imagine telling Justin Lee Collins that Somerset is NOT in the West Country:shocked::w00t:

Somerset is proof that a county can be in the West of England, and also have facilities, not just misshapen pies and middle class tourists:))):))) (or is that middle class pies....?)

Anyway, I'll get me coat
Kind regards

OP
A

aircooledchris

Justin lee collins, hes from bristol that up north aint it?

Martin you are from Liskeard that makes Bude up north to you
. We talk as funny as Cornish and we are much in- bred
as the cornish. LOL

Moz

Justin lee collins, hes from bristol that up north aint it?

Martin you are from Liskeard that makes Bude up north to you
. We talk as funny as Cornish and we are much in- bred
as the cornish. LOL
Ay, Bude is up there wi' Yorkshire! They do have a good jazz festival though which is in August anf though I usually go I shan't be able to this year.

Martin

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the cafe, in my opinion you are best to leave your beauty on it's stand, that way you can just give it a little sideways glance every now and then and say "Yup your mine and we're gona make sweet music together" then pick her up, give her a gentle squeeze and caress, then...... oh I'm sorry, I was getting carried away!

Top Bottom