supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Greetings From Sunny Southern California!

cheloso

Seems there's a lot of you folks living in sunny locations! As for me I can see the palm springs wind mills from my little town of Banning, California and for those in the know it's blasted "sunny" here!

Like many of you (I suppose) I wandered in here because I found Pete Thomas on SOTW and spent some good time crawling around his web sites. To Pete; I really admire and respect you for your work, your charities and your strong support to the sax community as a whole. Thank you very much!

I'm another retread. I started in 4th grade on an alto. My mother wisely had each of us kids pick an instrument and made us join the school band. When it was my turn I insisted that I play sax which put mom off a bit considering the cost... but she found an ad in the paper and the next thing I knew an old, weathered, yellow-eyed black man showed up at our door with a reddish brown case in his hand. I was petrified! For $25 dollars mom bought me a 1937 Conn 6m viii. :w00t:

How embarrassed I felt when I looked at it for the first time and thought how ugly it was. It was scratched and rustyand smelled like rum! What did I know? I was 10 years old! I remember when I brought that thing to school all the kids had shiny Bundys and Armstrongs... but the kindly band teacher saw my plight and made a big show of how I had the "best horn ever" and proceeded to play something (I forget what) which sounded soooo good! Bless that man! He saved me and taught us all a valuable lesson.

I progressed and became quite good at it. My naked lady never had a repad. It leaked all to hell. I had a jewelers screwdriver in the case to tighten the "loose" ones. I figured this was normal. Finally, in high school I branched out to flute and Bari. We had a cool jazz band and were quite popular. BTW the Bari was a Conn 12m and I just LOVED it! I attended Stan Kenton's music clinics at the University of Redlands. I gigged around town as a 16 year old. Sigh.

Anyhoo my wanderlust came a-callin as it often does to young men and I joined the U.S. Navy. As a Naval Aircrewman I traveled a lot! I saw a lot. 21 years later I retired and had not played so much as a kazoo in all that time. Meanwhile I gave (lent) my beloved 6m to my Nephew. Bad news as it was stored in a hay barn for 17 years. Thanks. Pictures to come.
Welll... my 30th High school reunioun was coming (2007) and the old jazz band decided to get together for a one night gig! Hoo boy! I bought a P. Mauriat Bari and have fallen in love all over again. Now I play with the Redlands 4th of July band, mentoring 4th graders (as best I can) and will be starting with a local group doing jazz/blues/funk.

Oh Yeah. Since the Bari purchase I've picked up a Conn 10m (my first tenor), a Conn transitional alto, a Vito alto, a Yamaha flute and a Henkin clarinet and GAS-itis. And a kazoo.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi cheloso

Welcome to the cafe from sunny Manchester and I'm not lying this time it really is sunny,enjoy the cafe:welldone:welldone:welldone

ps have you voted for taz yet

Last edited by a moderator:

thehunt

That is what is great about this forum, people from all over the world. Big welcome to you, look forward to some posts from you. Phil in very sunny Chigwell, north east just outside London.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi cheloso

Welcome to the cafe from sunny Manchester and I'm not lying this time it really is sunny,enjoy the cafe:welldone:welldone:welldone

ps have you voted for taz yet
Hi, I'm Taz and I need your vote. Enough of that! Welcome to the cafe, That's a great tale you told there. Did you ever rescue your first Conn?

Ok that's the pleasantries over with. Now Click here and vote for me! :w00t:

berniesax

a big warm welcome cheloso from a sunny straford east london !
"long live the conn saxophone"
all the best
bernie

berniesax

no its from a tv comedy show called "the mighty boosh" and it has quite a cult following here in the uk
all the best
bernie>:)

Top Bottom