All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

Greetings from Serbia

Br.Drasko

Hi, my name is Drasko.
I am looking to buy my first sax but I am still unsure alto or tenor.... I personally prefer tenor sax but everybody say that alto is for beginners. And yes, I am beginner :)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Hello and welcome :)

Everyone? Not here they won't, buy the one you really want, though you may end up with more than one anyway!

Alto may be better for youngsters where size is an issue when first starting but for an adult it isn't an issue.

Jx

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Hello Drasko and welcome to the café. I started with a rented alto, even though I wanted a tenor. They didn't have one for rent, but the alto is the right size and weight for me and I loved it as soon as I could make a note. I can't say one is easier to play than the other, but when I have tried tenors in the store, I found them too long and too heavy.

OP
Br.Drasko

Br.Drasko

Hello Drasko and welcome to the café. I started with a rented alto, even though I wanted a tenor. They didn't have one for rent, but the alto is the right size and weight for me and I loved it as soon as I could make a note. I can't say one is easier to play than the other, but when I have tried tenors in the store, I found them too long and too heavy.
Thank you for your comment. Weight should not be problem as I am "big guy"... Reason why I prefer tenor sax is sound.

Ottersly

Hi Drasko! I am a beginner too, and definitely not a big guy (not even a guy).

I chose the tenor because I love the sound and have not regretted it at all. The size is fine (get a proper strap - not the one that comes with the sax). The weight is very easily distributed when you have it set up properly and as long as your fingers can reach the keys, which they will since you're not a child, it's fine.
I think the sound is probably easier to make than on an Alto, and definitely easier on the ear for anyone in earshot since it's much less shrill when it inevitably squeaks and goes wrong!

Go for it!

OP
Br.Drasko

Br.Drasko

Hi Drasko! I am a beginner too, and definitely not a big guy (not even a guy).

I chose the tenor because I love the sound and have not regretted it at all. The size is fine (get a proper strap - not the one that comes with the sax). The weight is very easily distributed when you have it set up properly and as long as your fingers can reach the keys, which they will since you're not a child, it's fine.
I think the sound is probably easier to make than on an Alto, and definitely easier on the ear for anyone in earshot since it's much less shrill when it inevitably squeaks and goes wrong!

Go for it!
Thank you Ottersly. I am not a child :) I am almost 50 years old with 2 grand kids :) I believe that with my almost 12o kg weight difference between alto and tenor sax should not be issue. Alto is cca 2,54 kg and tenor 3.40 kg

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Welcome to the caff young man.
Your name says it all - "Brother Drasko"
I'm old enough to be your grandfather so don't argue.
You know you're a born tenor man - get on with it.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I am almost 50 years old with 2 grand kids
A mere child!

If you have a shop locally that has alto and tenor saxes, then I would recommend trying out both, just to see what they feel like.
Have a blow, even if it's a honk. You may find that one feels better.

But unless the alto feels better you should do the sensible thing and get a real saxophone (i.e. a tenor). :old:

OP
Br.Drasko

Br.Drasko

A mere child!

If you have a shop locally that has alto and tenor saxes, then I would recommend trying out both, just to see what they feel like.
Have a blow, even if it's a honk. You may find that one feels better.

But unless the alto feels better you should do the sensible thing and get a real saxophone (i.e. a tenor). :old:
Due VAT issue I am going to buy sax in EU (I would get VAT back). But yes, I would definitelly try to have both sax in hands.

GaryF

Welcome to the cafe, Drasko - Your profile says Belgrade? This website/shop looks good
Tenor Saksofoni | Duvački instrumenti | Klasični instrumenti | Lyra Style Beograd not too sure they are a great price, though. 190k dinar for a Yamaha TS280 seems about 19k dinar too much (a quick search from the internet). Best thing to do is to go and have a try of some and see which one you like the most.

I have a tenor and weigh in at 110Kg (am only 152cm tall, though :) )

OP
Br.Drasko

Br.Drasko

Welcome to the cafe, Drasko - Your profile says Belgrade? This website/shop looks good
Tenor Saksofoni | Duvački instrumenti | Klasični instrumenti | Lyra Style Beograd not too sure they are a great price, though. 190k dinar for a Yamaha TS280 seems about 19k dinar too much (a quick search from the internet). Best thing to do is to go and have a try of some and see which one you like the most.

I have a tenor and weigh in at 110Kg (am only 152cm tall, though :) )
I know for Lyra Style but price is basically too high compering with EU prices... Their price is 1670 EUR. Same instrument in Bratislava, Slovakia is 1232 EUR (actually on that 1232 EUR I would get 20% VAT return as I am taking instrument out of EU - so final price would be under 1000 EUR)... Theoretically I would need to pay VAT in Serbia but just in theory...

GaryF

I know for Lyra Style but price is basically too high compering with EU prices... Their price is 1670 EUR. Same instrument in Bratislava, Slovakia is 1232 EUR (actually on that 1232 EUR I would get 20% VAT return as I am taking instrument out of EU - so final price would be under 1000 EUR)... Theoretically I would need to pay VAT in Serbia but just in theory...
Next time I go there, I shall have to look those up! Bargain

RienButter

I started 2,5 years ago, Zero background in music whatsoever. Wanted to play tenor so thats why I started on tenor,
Don't know if alto is easier to start with since I only played a tenor the learning curve on tenor is hard but doable.

Just practice, don't go to hard on yourself and don't upgrade to fast to sound better. I jumped to a 7* with nr.3 strength reeds within a year and it didn't help me at all.
Now I am at a 6* with nr.2 reeds and I am finally starting to get a good and reliable sound.

Give it time, don't push and don't bite ;)

Paris saxophone

Hi, my name is Drasko.
I am looking to buy my first sax but I am still unsure alto or tenor.... I personally prefer tenor sax but everybody say that alto is for beginners. And yes, I am beginner :)
Don't listen any one....for example If someone want to learn sousaphone?he mast start from the euphonium?offcourse...not...start with the tenor my friend...listen to your heart...greetings from Greece

Trav1s

Welcome @Br.Drasko!

Older beginner here - I picked up tenor a year ago at 46 and did not even consider starting on alto. For me it is all about the sound...

At 168 cm tall and 74 kg I am far from a giant and went straight for the tenor because it is all about the sound.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom