All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Greetings from Finland! From SOTW to Cafe Saxophone and beyond!

Ville K.

Hello everyone!

My name is Ville and I'm an amateur sax player from Finland. I listened to a lot of blues when I was in high school but then fell in love with jazz thanks to my music teacher who gave me a few jazz records one being a Charlie Parker record! I got interested about playing the tenor saxophone after I heard the music of John Coltrane and Juhani Aaltonen, both favourite tenor players of mine. (On my forum avatar is the picture of the latter at the moment). I studied saxophone with a teacher some years ago and he as a very encouraging person who helped me on my path as a saxophone player and I'm grateful to him for all his help. As I was still studying I got to play with a band which consisted of other amateur players and we did a lot of covers of rock'n'roll music and enjoyed free form jam sessions with emphasis on collective improvisation. But those days have gone now as my life has been in constant rotation and after finishing studies I've been working and moving here and there which has left me soloing in solitude.
:verysad

Recently I've had the chance to hear world class jazz musicians perform near my neighbourhood at the Tampere Jazz Happening which included inspired performances from Dave Holland Quintet, Juhani Aaltonen Quartet and Marc Ribot Sunship among others!

I've been a member of Sax On The Web -forum since 2003 (known there as ”VilleK.”). I found out about Cafe Saxophone just recently as I was searching for more information about the Bauhaus-Walstein saxophones that have been getting positive feedback from respected players and technicians on the Sax On The Web -forum as well. So far I've been just browsing through the Cafe Saxophone forum with great interest and this is my first post here.

After reading some other new member introductions I'm convinced that an introduction isn't complete without a gear list so I'm adding here mine. After some experimenting my equipment of choice became as follows:

Dave Guardala Artist Series 500 black nickel tenor sax
Ralph Morgan Excalibur EL7
BG Tradition alto sax ligature gold plated
Rico Jazz Select 2M reeds

It's been interesting to follow the discussions so far but now that I've posted my own introduction I feel like communicating more with all you fellow saxophone players :)

Kind regards

thehunt

Hi Ville, big welcome, i think you are our first Finn on board. I am sure you will enjoy the forum. Look forward to seeing some posts from you. Kind regards
Phil

johnboy

Welcome aboard Ville, We look forward to hearing your ideas, and enjoying some friendly banter!!

John.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
HI, sounds like you'll be able to add a lot to the discussions. But remember, we're not SOTW, lol. Much easier going!

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff, Ville.

Just a query but what's happened to Scandinavian WRC drivers? You must displace the Froggy.

ENJOY!

Ville K.

Thanks for the warm welcoming, guys :)

Even though I've been a member in SOTW I haven't been as active there in recent years as I used to be. Until these days I've mainly stayed at one Finnish music forum concentrating on discussions about jazz and woodwinds. But I feel like it's going to be a change of course now and a fresh new start here in the Cafe ;}

Welcome to the caff, Ville.

Just a query but what's happened to Scandinavian WRC drivers? You must displace the Froggy.

ENJOY!
Hi Old Git! Don't really know about the WRC as it's definitely not my area of expertise ;} Maybe things are going to change if Kimi Räikkönen changes from F1 to rally one day, who knows?

Kind regards

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the cafe Ville. I hope you enjoy your stay here and I look forward to your posts.

Larn

Hi Ville and welcome to the cafe from a very Finish looking Shropshire (weather wise)

Mark.

Rikki

Hi Ville,

Welcome to the Cafe, that is some gear you have there! As you are our first Finn maybe you good resolve something for me I was named by my father Rikki, and all he would tell is that the name comes from Finland. Is this true? All the Rikki's i have seen have been female, dont telll me I actually have a girls name!!!!!!

Regards Rikki (hopefully not a girls name!)

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Tervetuloa!

I hope you will enjoy the Cafe, it is a fantastic resource :)

I have a dear friend who lives in Helsinki, and she is a huge fan of jazz. So glad you found the forum.

Ville K.

Hi Ville,

Welcome to the Cafe, that is some gear you have there! As you are our first Finn maybe you good resolve something for me I was named by my father Rikki, and all he would tell is that the name comes from Finland. Is this true? All the Rikki's i have seen have been female, dont telll me I actually have a girls name!!!!!!

Regards Rikki (hopefully not a girls name!)
Hi Rikki,

Thanks! I’m very pleased with my current gear but would be interested in doing some experimentation especially with different mouthpieces – without getting too far with the GAS though ;}

The word rikki has two different meanings in Finnish: (adjective) broken and (substantive) sulphur. It could be that the name Rikki is derived from the name Riku which is quite common in Finland. I found out that we don’t have the name Rikki as a name day in the calendar.

Cheers!

Ville K.

Tervetuloa!

I hope you will enjoy the Cafe, it is a fantastic resource :)

I have a dear friend who lives in Helsinki, and she is a huge fan of jazz. So glad you found the forum.
Kiitos, Luluna :)

Helsinki is a good place to live in if you're diggin' jazz. That's one of the key reasons why I moved closer to Helsinki from the north part of Finland where you could hear the reindeer bells more often than live jazz :D

TomMapfumo

Hi Ville K. and a very warm welcome from the Skabertawe Horn Section down by yer in Wales. I've always wanted to visit Finland ever since I fell in love with Sibelius' music, and especially since The Five Corners Quintet came onto the music scene!

I am a North European Jazz Fan (Garbarek, Stanko, Henriksen, Petter Molvaer) and would be interested to hear what other artists are found on the Finland Jazz Scene.

Have a great time here!
Kind regards
Tom

Ville K.

Hi Tom,

As you're into North European/Scandinavian jazz then I'd definitely recommend you to get familiar with some of the greatest jazz musicians of the north:

Juhani Aaltonen (Saxophonist/flutist, 1935-)
Edward Vesala (drummer/bandleader, 1945-1999)
Iro Haarla (pianist/harpist)

As I already wrote on the thread ”Who sparked your love of Sax music” it was thanks to both John Coltrane and Juhani Aaltonen that I picked up the tenor saxophone in the first place! As his greatest influence Aaltonen names John Coltrane. Aaltonen has worked with Edward Vesala and Iro Haarla among many foreign musicians as well and he is considered as one of the most significant saxophonists and flutists in the Finnish jazz scene. I was lucky to see the Juhani Aaltonen Quartet very recently at the Tampere Jazz Happening and I was excited about the inspired performances I had the pleasure of witnessing.

You might already know Edward Vesala as he has worked with both Jan Garbarek and Tomasz Stanko. Vesala led his own group Sound and Fury which included Iro Haarla (Vesala's wife) on keyboards and harp. Vesala was an exciting composer and you get a good idea of it by listening to his ECM recordings with the Sound and Fury ensemble.

Iro Haarla is one of my favourite pianists/harpists and as such her name is worth mentioning as much as Alice Coltrane's. She's probably best known for her collaboration with her late husband Edward Vesala. I had the pleasure of seeing her in the Juhani Aaltonen Quartet at the Jazz Happening. Be sure to check out her Finnish-Norwegian ECM debut ”Northbound” with Trygve Seim (sax), Mathias Eick (tr), Uffe Krokfors (b) and Jon Christensen (dr).

Cheers

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom