Greetings from Down Under

Relic

Thanks for the prompt, Jeanette! I got my first alto sax in 1950, a Conn Chu Berry. I studied for 11 years classical with George Hall, principal woodwind with the San Francisco symphony. Played dance bands, orchestra thru HS, put myself thru uni playing bars & nightclubs in SF, did a stint blowing Dixie on bass sax at the Red Garter. Priorities changed, I emigrated to New Zealand and my sax stayed in the case for years; in '89 after the market crash it was all I had left and I had to hock it for an airline ticket (painful!) For the next 28 years I toyed with the idea of buying another one; in '17 on a trip thru Vancouver I tested a dozen used horns, from unloved HS band instruments to a Selmer Mark VI. I picked up a bargain alto with a beautiful sound. Been practicing for a couple of years, back in form and looking for others to jam with. The situation's a bit like the Judi Dench movie "Last of the Blond Bombshells", trying to pull a group together. I live somewhat remote in West Auckland; prospects are not good and I'm on this site for a bit of inspiration. Also think I'm going to study some R&B, jazz since my repertory seems past its use by date (a bit like me) :) Cheers, Bill

Greg Strange

Kia Ora Bill and Haere Mai from the mighty Waikato to the Cafe Saxophone...

Forum member Wade is orginally from the US and I think lives out West Auckland way when he's not escaping the NZ winter and sunning himself in northern Queensland - Wade might be able to help with some jamming mates or contacts...have fun...

Greg S.

Zugzwang

Subscriber
Welcome Bill , - when I've saved up enough for a flight case and a ticket :eek: , will be on the beach at Piha - hope to see you there or thereabouts. In the meantime, the coffee is very good in this Cafe.

JoeG46

Thanks for the prompt, Jeanette! I got my first alto sax in 1950, a Conn Chu Berry. I studied for 11 years classical with George Hall, principal woodwind with the San Francisco symphony. Played dance bands, orchestra thru HS, put myself thru uni playing bars & nightclubs in SF, did a stint blowing Dixie on bass sax at the Red Garter. Priorities changed, I emigrated to New Zealand and my sax stayed in the case for years; in '89 after the market crash it was all I had left and I had to hock it for an airline ticket (painful!) For the next 28 years I toyed with the idea of buying another one; in '17 on a trip thru Vancouver I tested a dozen used horns, from unloved HS band instruments to a Selmer Mark VI. I picked up a bargain alto with a beautiful sound. Been practicing for a couple of years, back in form and looking for others to jam with. The situation's a bit like the Judi Dench movie "Last of the Blond Bombshells", trying to pull a group together. I live somewhat remote in West Auckland; prospects are not good and I'm on this site for a bit of inspiration. Also think I'm going to study some R&B, jazz since my repertory seems past its use by date (a bit like me) :) Cheers, Bill
If you're stuck for playing opportunities you might like a visit in January to Wollongong's HONK OZ! festival of street music - bands and musicians from Queensland, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Chicago, Boston, Seattle and the UK. Accommodation and friendship available. There are organised bands and spontaneous groupings including a festival band directed by Ken Field.
Check it out at

Top Bottom