All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Greetings Earthlings! I come in Peace!

farina_man

Hello! My name is Steve and I've been playing the saxophone since 1967 when I was a 14-year old schoolboy. I started on a simple-system high-pitch John Grey tenor with a wooden mouthpiece. My father bought it in a junk shop for £2-10s and had it brazed up in the shipyard where he worked. I re-made some of the pads that leaked (lots!) and, after experimenting with rubber bands, I used a "jubilee clip" as a ligature. It worked, after a fashion! My first "proper" sax was a pre-war Pennsylvania Special tenor for my sixteenth birthday (low pitch at last!). I've never had a lesson, but I've enjoyed more than 50 years of gigging and bandleading. My major vice is collecting saxes and clarinets, rather indiscriminately. My current no.1 tenor is a 1930-ish Pierret "Vibrator" which I've had for 25 years; back-up tenors are a 1928 Conn Chu, a 1949 Conn 10M, and a 1930's Lewin (Martin Handcraft stencil). Altos that I use occasionally include a 1920 Buescher Tru-tone, a 1936 Buescher Aristocrat 1, a 1930's Lewin (Martin), and several Pierrets. Soprano: Arbiter (a modern sax, but I like it). Baritone: 1933 Pan American. C-Melody: 1920 Conn straight neck, and an early '20's Buescher TT. As you can see from the above, I had problems long before Lockdown!

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Welcome to the Cafe. Quite an impressive collection of saxophones you have there! You will fit right in here.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom