All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

Greetings and Merry Christmas from the Isle of Wight!

Pam

Hi, I'm Pam, just turned 65, looking to retire from academia (art history and philosophy) and have been playing/getting to grips with alto for just four months. I've played the piano all my life, but my love of jazz prompted me to have a go at the sax, and I'm loving the freedom and improvisation that I hope will translate to the piano. Lots to do, and I look forward to the journey with this great forum and site. It was a (quite old?) set of lessons for beginners from Pete on YouTube that got me started. 'When the Saints Go Marching In' was my first 'conquest', on the sax, I'll never forget that moment. Thank you so much, Pete!

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Hi, I'm Pam, just turned 65, looking to retire from academia (art history and philosophy) and have been playing/getting to grips with alto for just four months. I've played the piano all my life, but my love of jazz prompted me to have a go at the sax, and I'm loving the freedom and improvisation that I hope will translate to the piano. Lots to do, and I look forward to the journey with this great forum and site. It was a (quite old?) set of lessons for beginners from Pete on YouTube that got me started. 'When the Saints Go Marching In' was my first 'conquest', on the sax, I'll never forget that moment. Thank you so much, Pete!
Hello and welcome, Pam.
Have you come across Dave Plummer on the IoW? He moved there about a year ago, teaches Sax, performs and is planning running some of his workshops there.

Enjoy your saxophone journey.

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hello @Pam and welcome. Enjoy your retirement and new musical journey. I'll repeat my usual thing of do see if you can find a group / wind band / orchestra to join and play with - it helps a lot.

Zugzwang

Subscriber
Welcome Pam from an original cork head, though now in exile in the west of England - couldn't afford the ferry fares... and congratulations on taking to the sax.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Welcome to the Café from another late starter.

OP
P

Pam

Hello and welcome, Pam.
Have you come across Dave Plummer on the IoW? He moved there about a year ago, teaches Sax, performs and is planning running some of his workshops there.

Enjoy your saxophone journey.
Mandy, thanks very much for this - I hadn't heard Dave's name, but I've looked him up on the web and his site is excellent, I may need his help!

OP
P

Pam

Hello @Pam and welcome. Enjoy your retirement and new musical journey. I'll repeat my usual thing of do see if you can find a group / wind band / orchestra to join and play with - it helps a lot.
Hi, thank you for the welcome! I won't be retiring until the end of 2020, so still have to fit practice in where I can with everything else. My husband plays guitar and harmonica, so we've started jamming - tentatively - my skills aren't up to public scrutiny, but it's so good just to make music together...

OP
P

Pam

Welcome Pam from an original cork head, though now in exile in the west of England - couldn't afford the ferry fares... and congratulations on taking to the sax.
Thank you for the welcome, and yes, loving the learning curves - and your silk purse analogy. I'll keep that in mind! :)

Zugzwang

Subscriber
Hi @Pam and @MandyH thanks to the two of you, I'm making a visit to the Island end of February and attending a Dave Plummer workshop in Newport! (maybe even encouraged him to put one on... who knows) Anyway it's open to all levels from absolute beginners up, so if you fancy it Pam I found him on Facebook, maybe see you there!

OP
P

Pam

I'll have a look at this, and hope to make it if I can. Slightly apprehensive, though - what does a workshop involve? I'm not really up to any kind of public scrutiny yet! :eek:

Zugzwang

Subscriber
This is the best time to go - before you start expecting anything of yourself. (I lost my nerve about standing up at my local jazz club Open Mic 2 years ago and now I seem stuck chickening out - even though I play with half the audience regularly :(And don’t worry about “public scrutiny” - anyone attending will be listening to Dave and themselves!!
Workshop: It means different things - in this case Dave described it as a “ open to all from Grade 1”. and it will have all play together.
Ask him any/everything, and tell him you’re nervous
You could also check out a currently quiet Cafe member Chris who posted his Grade 1 exam pieces on YouTube as Chris Smith Sax ( I’ll look for the link)

OP
P

Pam

Thanks for the encouragement! The details say one year's playing experience is required, and I'm only a few months in, but I'll keep his workshops in mind for later on, they sound really good. I hope you enjoy this one :)

Zugzwang

Subscriber
Your previous piano skills give you a great ”leg up” - true beginners spend a lot of their first year finding out about major and minor scales and getting their ear in - forget about the workshop for another month and then see how you feel…

Saxholder Pro
Help!

Top Bottom