All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Greeting from Kent

Mister Levity

Hello all,i'm a 51 year old beginner,I've hired aTrevor James "The Horn" tenor from sax.co.uk to see if I've got what it takes.
Played bass guitar for many years but have always loved the sound of a sax.So I thought I would take the plunge and give it a go.
Found my self a tutor and have been practicing as much as I can at home and I'm loving it.:)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me. I'm sure you've got what it takes if you've played a bass guitar.... Have fun here!

Sweet Dreamer

Hello, Mister Levity, welcome. Looks like you got the right idea trying a horn out before buying. I never really thought about that. I'm 61 and just started the sax myself. I started on an Alto, which seems like a big horn for me. At least it did when I first got it, but it does seem to be shrinking rather quickly. I guess I'm getting used to handling it. I have respiratory problems too which is another reason I chose the smaller horn. I read that the tenor takes a bit more air. But I'm sure it also has that lovely deeper sound. As a bass player I'm sure you'll appreciate the tenor over an alto.

I was just practicing tonight. I've been playing for a month or so, off and on. I'm learning blues tonight. I play guitar too, so I just transcribed some blues into Eb for the sax and I'm starting to pick it up. It's amazing how different it sounds on the sax. Everything is different, not just the sound of the instrument, but the very way that phrasings come out. I'm really glad I got this little sax to play with. Sounds like you're already addicted to the sax too.

johnboy

Hi there Mister Levity,

With a Moniker like that, you've come to the right place. We all like to have a giggle and express our often conflicting views.

Welcome aboard,
John.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Cain

Hi
I too started with a TJ hire alto from sax.co.uk, an excellent beginning. Since then have moved to tenor (gorgeous) but still love alto.
Best of luck with your journey.

Josh Johnson

Hi Mr Levity,

Good for you, getting hold of sax.

What is the jazz scene like in Kent? Have you heard of Tony Coe? I think he hails from Kent.

Young Col

Hi Mr L and welcome from just over the border. I see the Man of Kent/Kentish Man question has already been asked.
My first sax was a TJ Horn alto taken over from a son who gave it up, and a very good beginners sax it was (still have it as a standby).
YC

Mister Levity

Hi Old Git,I'm a man of Kent by accident.I was born in Chatham due to Gravesend hospital being full.So I'm born a Man of Kent but should have been a Kentish Man (so I guess that makes me both).

saxyman

Hi Mr L
Welcome from a neighbour.
I too started by hiring a TJ Horn.
If you look at my earlier posts you will see that I belong to a music group called Kaleidescope that is unique to Kent and is based in Chatham. it is suitable for Beginners or Advanced alike. Great if you are just starting out as it gets you used to playing along with other sax players. If you would like any more details then please get in touch with me.
It helped me immensely.
Dave

TomMapfumo

Hi there, Levi-T, sax rapper!

A warm welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Horn Section, down by yer in Wales, isn't it...................:shocked::w00t:;}

I hope that you have a really lovely time here, and I hope that we can provide the right sort of support and encouragement to sustain your development as a sax player.
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Rikki

Hi Levity!

Well along with everybody else welcome to the Cafe and top marks for doing the right thing and starting with a tutor. look forward to hearing your development and consequent issues! Dont worry we have all been there/going through it. The only stupid question is the one never asked! Well Ok some are REALLY DUMB!!!!!!!

Warm regards Rikki

wopio

Try the kings Head pub in Rochester , top jazz players every sunday , and it;s free . regards wopio ( also in kent )

Top Bottom