support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Greatest Jazz Solo

SatchmoBrecker

Wasn't sure which thread to post this. But for my money these two solos by Michael Brecker are not only the best sax solos ever, but the best jazz solo ever bar none.

This one is from Not Ethiopia, solo starts around 3:35, though check out the entire tune for a great guitar solo.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDFOLpkPfqk

This one is from Teebag, solo starts around 4:15 after a great piano solo. Especially check out 5:15 and tell me that's still a tenor!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PZTSLmQ2nQ

I guess it depends on whether your criterion is primarily technical brilliance or musicality. Neither of those solos does anything for me though he's clearly a virtuoso. I accept that this may be a limitation on my part as a listener.

It's impossible for me to pick a single solo but in terms of sheer inventiveness of a beautiful melody that perfectly complements the tune it sits within it's hard to beat Phil Woods' solo on "Just the way you are". I'm sorry it's not a jazz song (rather a pop song) but Phil's sax solo is melodic, beautiful, picks up the melody of the song and takes it to a whole new level. Starts at 2:58

In terms of "jazz" I think my favourite solo is still this magical "stairway to the stars" by Dexter. There's a little bit of pyrotechnics around 3:20 but perfectly in context.

Yep, always loved Phil Woods in general but in that tune especially. And loved the fact that he wasn't afraid to "go pop". I'd be interested to know how many people he brought into the world of jazz because of that solo alone. And Dexter, definitely not a technical player like Brecker but absolutely beautiful stuff, so melodic and never an unsure note.

I rank Brecker's two solos more from a total package perspective. In those solos he does everything right - musicality, fits the context of the tune, and not only technical mastery of the horn but "correct" use of just about everything a sax is capable of. And by correct I mean for example he uses altissimo not just as a little show-off point, but as part of the solo. And so on.

For me, Rahsaan Roland Kirk's solo below is unsurpassed by anything. Ever. It starts around 9:30 but you need to listen to it in context really.

Sonny Rollins on "St thomas" - i Just keep hearing his inflictions on the particular tune in a lot of contempoary stuff.

I never understood why some people want to pick a favorite thing! My brother always annoyed me by calling his favorite this or that. And it changed over the years, as it's quite natural.

I like too many things in life to stick to one. Variety, diversity, plurality are to me more important than exclusiveness and single-anything.

Then of course there is taste and each one has its own. Good or bad, who's to say? I'm not talking about the quality of the performance, that's an entirely different thing.

I have to go now. My "favorite" wife is calling me! :oops:

Wasn't sure which thread to post this. But for my money these two solos by Michael Brecker are not only the best sax solos ever, but the best jazz solo ever bar none.

Hi, I'm a really big Michael Brecker fan. One of the very greatest sax players in my book. He played with many of my other 'music heroes' like Joni Mitchell, Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius and Paul Simon. I've watched a couple of interviews with him on YouTube that bring home to me just how much work he put into being the excellent musician that he was.

Thanks for the links. For me, the clip that really decided that he really was one of the greats was his solo performance of Delta City Blues:
View: https://youtu.be/tjpjGSr38d4

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: