Greatest Jazz Solo

Discussion in 'Great Players' started by SatchmoBrecker, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SatchmoBrecker

SatchmoBrecker Member

Positive Ratings:
    +12
    Wasn't sure which thread to post this. But for my money these two solos by Michael Brecker are not only the best sax solos ever, but the best jazz solo ever bar none.

This one is from Not Ethiopia, solo starts around 3:35, though check out the entire tune for a great guitar solo.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDFOLpkPfqk

This one is from Teebag, solo starts around 4:15 after a great piano solo. Especially check out 5:15 and tell me that's still a tenor!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PZTSLmQ2nQ

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Greatest Jazz Solo Forum Date
    Good books about jazz? Great Players Sep 19, 2016
    Earl Bostic - how does he do that? Great Players Feb 19, 2016
    Basic Jazz Greats to Know Great Players Jan 15, 2016
    Greatest ever saxophone player Great Players Nov 11, 2009

3. sdt99

sdt99 Member

Positive Ratings:
    +143
    I guess it depends on whether your criterion is primarily technical brilliance or musicality. Neither of those solos does anything for me though he's clearly a virtuoso. I accept that this may be a limitation on my part as a listener.

It's impossible for me to pick a single solo but in terms of sheer inventiveness of a beautiful melody that perfectly complements the tune it sits within it's hard to beat Phil Woods' solo on "Just the way you are". I'm sorry it's not a jazz song (rather a pop song) but Phil's sax solo is melodic, beautiful, picks up the melody of the song and takes it to a whole new level. Starts at 2:58

In terms of "jazz" I think my favourite solo is still this magical "stairway to the stars" by Dexter. There's a little bit of pyrotechnics around 3:20 but perfectly in context.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SatchmoBrecker

SatchmoBrecker Member

Positive Ratings:
    +12
    Yep, always loved Phil Woods in general but in that tune especially. And loved the fact that he wasn't afraid to "go pop". I'd be interested to know how many people he brought into the world of jazz because of that solo alone. And Dexter, definitely not a technical player like Brecker but absolutely beautiful stuff, so melodic and never an unsure note.

I rank Brecker's two solos more from a total package perspective. In those solos he does everything right - musicality, fits the context of the tune, and not only technical mastery of the horn but "correct" use of just about everything a sax is capable of. And by correct I mean for example he uses altissimo not just as a little show-off point, but as part of the solo. And so on.

5. Dibbs

Dibbs Member

Positive Ratings:
    +165
    For me, Rahsaan Roland Kirk's solo below is unsurpassed by anything. Ever. It starts around 9:30 but you need to listen to it in context really.

6. flamingoer

flamingoer Member

Positive Ratings:
    +44
    I know it's nigh on 80 years old but for me there's nothing to touch
    Lester Young playing 'Lady be good'. Every note plays it's part,
    and the word 'swing' was invented for it.

• Informative & Useful Informative & Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nick Wyver

Nick Wyver noisy

Positive Ratings:
    +3,105
    For me, it's got to be this (starts at about 2 min):

• Like Like x 6
    • Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  8. Jazzaferri

Jazzaferri Well-Known Member

Positive Ratings:
    +903
    For me my 2 nominations for favourite are Parkers Mood and Take 5 for alto. On tenor too many.....I cant my head around it.

In all honesty can't get my head around the idea of greatest :blush:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. David Dorning

David Dorning Senior Member

Positive Ratings:
    +419
    Certainly amongst the most hilarious sax solos I have heard, classic Bonzo material. I assume it was Rodney Slater?

10. Caz

Caz Member

Positive Ratings:
    +28
    Sonny Rollins on "St thomas" - i Just keep hearing his inflictions on the particular tune in a lot of contempoary stuff.

11. jbtsax

jbtsax old and opinionated

Positive Ratings:
    +6,550
    For me it is impossible to say "this is the best jazz solo ever", because many of us have such different tastes. It would be better for me to come up with what I think is Cannonball Adderly's best solo, or Paul Desmond's best solo, or Phil Wood's best solo.

• Like Like x 4
  12. saxyjt

saxyjt Well-Known Member

Positive Ratings:
    +619
    I never understood why some people want to pick a favorite thing! My brother always annoyed me by calling his favorite this or that. And it changed over the years, as it's quite natural.

I like too many things in life to stick to one. Variety, diversity, plurality are to me more important than exclusiveness and single-anything.

Then of course there is taste and each one has its own. Good or bad, who's to say? I'm not talking about the quality of the performance, that's an entirely different thing.

I have to go now. My "favorite" wife is calling me! :oops:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. sdt99

sdt99 Member

Positive Ratings:
    +143
    On the subject of Cannonball Adderley this is rather special (yes, yes, just a minor blues)

• Like Like x 4
  14. trimmy

trimmy One day i will...

Positive Ratings:
    +4,776
    • Like Like x 3
  15. jbtsax

jbtsax old and opinionated

Positive Ratings:
    +6,550
    Love it:

"The blues isn't about feeling better, its about making other people feel worse, and making a few bucks while you're at it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Cool Cool x 1
  16. Chris

Chris Well Known Cafe Moderator

Positive Ratings:
    +2,788
    Stan Getz's improvisation on the song 'Her' is as good as any 'Jazz' solo.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Westcoaster

Westcoaster Westcoaster

Positive Ratings:
    +7
    'You Go To My Head', The Dave Brubeck Quartet Storyville 1952. Desmond sublime, Brubeck empathy itself. You won't hear more affecting 8 minutes of music.

18. real8

real8 New Member

Positive Ratings:
    +10
    "Bird of paradise", Parker 1947. A contrafact of "All the things you are" - this solo more or less defines bebop for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MikeMorrell

MikeMorrell Still struggling to play better

Positive Ratings:
    +344
    Hi, I'm a really big Michael Brecker fan. One of the very greatest sax players in my book. He played with many of my other 'music heroes' like Joni Mitchell, Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius and Paul Simon. I've watched a couple of interviews with him on YouTube that bring home to me just how much work he put into being the excellent musician that he was.

Thanks for the links. For me, the clip that really decided that he really was one of the greats was his solo performance of Delta City Blues:

View: https://youtu.be/tjpjGSr38d4

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017
  20. garrobito

garrobito Member

Positive Ratings:
    +49
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cool Cool x 1
  21. altissimo

altissimo Well-Known Member

Positive Ratings: