support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Greatest ever saxophone player

Who's THE greatest saxophone player ever?

• Charlie Parker

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Sonny Rollins

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Cannonball Adderley

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Dexter Gordon

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Lester Young

• Ben Webster

• Paul Desmond

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Michael Brecker

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters

half diminished

Locality
Buckinghamshire
Can you choose just one?

Here's ten to choose from or suggest your own and select 'none of the above'.

Rollins, especially in the mid and late 50s. And the 60s. And the 70s ...

But I really enjoy listening to loads of them and it's great that there is such a wide range of styles and sounds to listen to.

Rhys

PS But if there were separate polls, alto would be Cannonball and baritone would be Ronnie Ross (or maybe John Surman).

I'm assuming that you mean "personal favorite" by "greatest." My vote is for Lester. But if you meant "most-influential" then I would have to say that Coleman Hawkins is notably missing from the list.

Lester Young, Cannonball Adderley and Hank Crawford are my all-time favorites but especially Mr. Lester.

I'm assuming that you mean "personal favorite" by "greatest." My vote is for Lester. But if you meant "most-influential" then I would have to say that Coleman Hawkins is notably missing from the list.

Lester Young, Cannonball Adderley and Hank Crawford are my all-time favorites but especially Mr. Lester.

Nah, most important/influential rather than favourite. I only had room for 10 unfortunately.

Zoot Sims. He never needed a rhythm section as he swung like crazy when I saw him on a JATP tour.

Michael Brecker, for the shear command he had of the instrument. Complete control and complete self expression.

I agree with the brecker comment. Detroit city blues is still one of me fav tracks.

my vote went to Trane.. he went through so many phases and produced wonderful sounds and jazz during them all. I have just bought his 'favourite things' cd and found it so fantastic.

All the others were great as well but unlike Simon Cowell, I can make a decision.

There could be a cast of thousands. What a hiatus there would be in that band.

Where are the altos of Johnny Hodges, Art Pepper, Benny Carter, Earl Bostic et al?
The tenors of Lucky Thompson, Stanley Turrentine, Hank Mobley etc.

Then there are the guys that are special to us because we saw them at arms length.
They may not have been 'influential' but mean a lot to us.

At the top of that list I name Dick Morrissey. Always swinging.
A great player, and possibly passed over because of his 'funk' connection, but in my book a great player.
His playing touched everyone who heard him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dick Parry.... So I voted none of the above

But I agree, any questionaire like this tends towards what you like listening to - Brecker & Rollins for instance, aren't to my taste, neither's the later Coltrane stuff. So I'd never vote for them, cos I don't see them as great players in the same way that Zoot Sims is....

Can you choose just one?

Here's ten to choose from or suggest your own and select 'none of the above'.

Hi,

All the players listed are phenomenal and all are players to aspire to. Here are 10 sax players that I think deserve a mention (in no particular order)....
1. Manu Dibango 2.Grover Washington Jnr. 3.King Curtis. 4.Fela Kuti. 5. Sax Gordon. 6. Chu Berry. 7. Clarence Clemmins. 8. Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson. 9. Femi Kuti. 10. Courtney Pine.

Hi,

All the players listed are phenomenal and all are players to aspire to. Here are 10 sax players that I think deserve a mention (in no particular order)....
1. Manu Dibango 2.Grover Washington Jnr. 3.King Curtis. 4.Fela Kuti. 5. Sax Gordon. 6. Chu Berry. 7. Clarence Clemmins. 8. Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson. 9. Femi Kuti. 10. Courtney Pine.

Great list. I wold like to add Red Prysock, Sam "The Man" Taylor, Freddie Mitchell, Noble "Thin Man" Watts .... and some contemporary players like Tim Price, David "Woody" Woodford, Lenny Pickett.

Thomas

Hi,

good list! I'd go for james carter, illinois jacquet, ben webster, sam butera, jan garbarek, maceo parker, king curtis, earl bostic, albert ayler, ornette coleman.... covers most bases, i reckon....

Gotta agree, Manu and Grover really rock my boat but also love Stan Getz and Ben Webster. So hard to say which is best as it depends what mood i'm in. Have been trying hard to like Coltrane but just don't get it..
Hi,

Another thumbs up for Ben Webster! looks to be coming out top.... (BTW- for folks that don't like Coltrane- try listening to 'After the Rain', it's incredibly beautiful by any standards)

How can onyone choose just one! it's like saying your favourite fruit, bread, cheese, beer...anything.....does it all for you...I say all the sax players add something different to enjoy, we would have had no Jan Garbarek without Charlie Parker, without Bing Crosby we would have had no Frank Sinatra, etc...... however without Kenny Gee we would have no Yuck!

Just a rort or two & anyway I'm still learnin.

Ciao
Jimu:mrcool