support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Great to find the forum

FrankC

Hey, it's nice to have a spot to marinate in all things saxophone. I'm in my 60s, and semi-professional. I play mostly tenor, but I just bought an alto to scratch an itch -- and see if there's such a thing as divided loyalty. And actually, to be quite honest, what nudged me to the alto was that "My One and Only Love" in the standard key starts on an A on the tenor, which makes playing it in the lower register not quite kosher. Not that problem for the alto in that key.

I'm often asked "Why did you start on the alto?" It's true, other than Bird, I have listened almost exclusively to tenor players. I like soprano, but a little goes a long way, and bari, don't shoot, I'd rather hear bass clarinet. But alto? Well, it's simple, they didn't rent tenors at the store. You see, 90% or more of rentals are kids starting out, and they (or their parents) want altos because the others are too big and/or heavy. Once I got the alto, though, I found it was a good voice for what I want to do, so although I've added a cheap curved soprano to my "collection" of two saxophones, the alto is my weapon of choice. We seniors, like the kids, prefer a lighter instrument. I see the alto as a classy sports car (as I say above).

Welcome to the Café where many retired, but spry citizens of the world hang out daily!

Do you think that pilot was bummed to have "BOZO" painted on the side of his aircraft, tho...?

Probably his thoughts were something like, "Oh, no, some clown* has tagged my aeroplane"

*in case Bozo isn't known globally, Bozo is/was a circus clown who appeared on television in the US.

All the other saxes need a bari to give them the support that they realy do need.>:)

So:
alto = Ferrari
tenor = Spitfire
bari = Support Ball

balance ball.jpg

Back
Top Bottom