support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sheet Music Great solos in pop

zannie

Hello everyone

I'm joining a band to do some saxophone solos for them. Being a classical musician by training, this is a bit out of my normal repertoire but I'm generally up for a challenge.

My daft questions for you lot:
1) Rio by Duran Duran is tenor?
2) Careless Whisper is alto?

What others should we try? This is a cheesy covers band. Think family weddings. One of them thinks there is a solo in Tainted Love but I can't think what that sounds like. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone

There is a bit of Saxophone in this recording of 'Tainted Love'. Hardly a solo, but a bit of background stuff. I don't think there was any sax in Soft Cells version, if that's what you are thinking?

that's it!! No, not a massive solo but they really like it as an addition and we got completely confused with our Glorias, and I was left thinking Gloria Gaynor

Tainted Love goes down really well when we play it. I used to take vocals but we've got a new Female singer, so She's taking the lead now. Might have to learn the horn part myself :) Although if you've got a male singer, you might have to take it down a step or two, unless he's got range!

Although bear in mind that as per my opening statement, I'm classically trained, so all the above looks like pop to me, apart from jazz and swing... yes to Northern Soul - apparently that's their "sound" whatever that means... all above my head, but if anyone wants to discuss the finer points of baroque ornamentation and correct enharmonic notation, then I'm your girl!!!

What about ....

King Curtis - "Whiter Shade of Pale (soprano)
King Curtis - "Hey Jude" (alto)
Supertramp - "Logical Song"
Supertramp - "Breakfast In America"
The Mamas and Papas - "California Dreaming" (alto flute but soprono or alto sax sounds also great)
Carole King - "It's Too Late"
Carole King - "You Got A Friend" (no sax but if you can sing you can play it)

Hi Zannie, I think you anwered your questions correctly. Rio is definitely tenor (according to the credits) and the first note of 'Careless Whisper is about the highest note on alto sax.

I don't do cheesy covers (except here on the cafe now and again ;)) or play weddings so I can't much with that. I do play in a couple of Big Bands and I (with others) decide on our repertoire. I've found some good ideas by googling similar bands and finding out what they play. Amongst all the 'standards' that everybody plays, there are sometimes some real gems that we've added.

Try googling things like 'weddings music live repertoire' and see what comes up. Or 'cover music weddings repertoire'.

FWIW, I think it depends a bit on how 'true to the original recorded track' your band needs to sound on covers. There are 'tribute bands' that deliberately try to get as close as possible to the original 'tracks'. For family weddings and such, I think that the main thing is that you put on a good live show and that everyone has a good time. Most 'famous' bands/artists who played different versions of their recorded tracks live. often played with extra musicians and/or without the musicians who played on the recorded tracks. This was sometimes necessary but often deliberate so that the live audience got the idea that they were watching/listening to 'something special': a live performance that wasn't just a copy of what the band/artist had previously recorded.

Personally, I much prefer 'live performances' to the offically recorded versions. I'd enjoy hearing a sax (or whatever) solo from a live band now and then that wasn't in the 'recorded version'. It's what makes 'live performances' different to having a DJ playing recordings. IHMO it's about getting the right balance between audiences recognising the songs and having the freedom to add the 'live talents' that your band has.

As far as sax goes, I suggest you look for songs that other cover bands play where you might be able to add a sax solo now and again. Just to make it 'special' (and different) as a live performance. This is a different approach than 'searching for songs with a sax solo'.

Mike

Hello everyone

I'm joining a band to do some saxophone solos for them. Being a classical musician by training, this is a bit out of my normal repertoire but I'm generally up for a challenge.

My daft questions for you lot:
1) Rio by Duran Duran is tenor?
2) Careless Whisper is alto?

What others should we try? This is a cheesy covers band. Think family weddings. One of them thinks there is a solo in Tainted Love but I can't think what that sounds like. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone