All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Great Course for Beginners/intermediates

saxyman

Just been on 4 day residential "Extending saxophone skills course" at Knuston Hall Northants. Well worth the money, Its run every year about the same time.

There are plenty of advanced courses available in Uk but this one serves those players from beginners upto Grade 6.
Thoroughly recommend it not just for the tuition but also for the friendly easy going atmosphere, great facilities, food and company.
Warning though, you play/workshops from 0915 - 2145 in the evening, you get a lot for your money.
They do other courses as well for other levels.
Have a look at their website.
I have already booked for next year.

saxyman

Knuston Hall

Yes, that's the place, as the course has just been held for this year, its not yet shown on the 2012 programme.
Attached is a copy of this years syllabus, to give you some idea.
They are taking booking as stated for next year already.
Next year will be my 3rd time of going.
Dave

Attachments

• KnustonHall2.jpg
    KnustonHall2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 157
  • KnustonHall1.jpg
    KnustonHall1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 122

littleplum

That look like a good course, so much better when you are kept busy. I did one at the Benslow music trust about 3 years ago. That was good fun as well as challenging too.

If you can afford it, it is money well spent

Dave

Pauline

Subscriber
Saxyman, when you say it is held at about the same time each year do you mean April or Easter? (I work school times)
This looks like just what I need to give me a (musical ! ) kick up the backside, seeing as I am mainly self-taught and have been chugging along on my own for probably far too long.
It sounds a bit arduous and scary but I feel now that this is something I could have a go at and would suit me better than weekly lessons.

saxyman

Hi Pauline
Next years course is to be held on 2 - 5 April 2012 which I believe is just prior to Easter as was this year.
I admit the first time I went it was daunting for the first session,(they dont come any less qualified than me) but that is only to asses your ability, as the course caters for the individual needs as well.
They do and try to put similar players together to start but soon start mixing you up with others who are more advanced.
There is no "I can play better than you" attitudes. I myself learnt a lot from playing and talking with others in both small and large ensembles.
I am sure you will enjoy it, if you can, then do give it a try, hope to see you there.
Dave

Dave Mac

Honest, I'm Trying
Subscriber
Thanks Saxyman,
this course sound like just what I'll be needing ...... in about 11 months time! I've just booked for next year.

Dave.

Pauline

Subscriber
Oh eck!! gone and booked it now! :w00t:
look forward to meeting you both next year!
Thanks Saxyman for posting this thread:welldone

better start getting into training.....:shocked:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Pauline,
As our Official Moll, the Zimmer Retainer can be despatched with the official CaSLM Diving Boot to administer your requested stimulus. It might be a little difficult as the boot comes up to his waist. (Nearly wrote waste but didn't want to be cruel.)

BTW:-Did you ever serenade your sister with Stumbling In?

Pauline

Subscriber
OG I didn't realise such perks existed!! Looks like I've missed out! :)))

As for Stumbling In - yes I did play it for her but unfortunately she was not that impressed ..... :(
I think sometimes, that people who don't play an instument just don't appreciate how hard it can be. About a year ago I was at a "Magic Platters" concert in Annick (don't laugh!) with a couple of good friends. At one point the guitarist did a cracking solo but when I admiringly pointed this out to my friends they looked at me blankly. They didn't have a clue that it took years of effort to be able to play like that.

Of course, it might just be that I'm an even worst player than I thought! :shocked:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Of course, it might just be that I'm an even worst player than I thought! :shocked:

Pauline,
Most of us kid ourselves that we are better than we, in fact, are. Your refreshing attitude means that you are better than you think.

Rogerb

I think it's more a case of our being 'better' than we are thought to be, by anyone who hasn't been through the rigors of learning an instrument ..... and has only heard highly experienced pros performing!

That course sounds really good.

trimmy

One day i will...
How much is the April course ? just been on the site and the course for Febuary is £487 single room :shocked:
Didn't give a course for April on the site !!

Pauline

Subscriber
Can't remember the price now but I'm pretty sure it's under £300. I 've paid the deposit and the rest is due 6 weeks before the start.
Getting a bit nervous about it now. Need to practise more!!

saxyman

The course I am referring to is the one in February, this I believe is the one I went on last year and gained a great deal from it. It does appear that they have changed the programme by introducing the Beginners course in April 2012.
The February one used to be called "Extending your saxophone skill" and at the time I first attended it was for players upto and not exceeding level 6.
I attended a a raw beginner yet was made welcome and did not feel out of place. Everyone from the teachers to students (for want of better words) were so helpful.
The cost of the Feb course is 470.00 (I have a single room) but it is worth every penny, the food is terrific, rooms basic but clean, hospitality first class, colleagues brilliant.
Pauline if you are going on the Feb course , say hello and make yourself known so you wont feel on your own to start with. By the way I am only grade 1 if that's any consolation to you and I am not ashamed of that. I just enjoy playing/learning. David.

trimmy

One day i will...
Hi David

On the flyer for last year it states the course at £322, and this years at £470 that's a massive jump in price :shocked::shocked:

I was going to add my name but i'm too tight to pay that amount :blush: i'm going to phone them and see if there are any courses at the price in the flyer, for later next year.

I would enjoy a course like that :)

Kev

saxyman

Sorry folks my apologies.
I have just been on to the tutors and the course has been renamed, the one I went on last year and that I am going on in 2012 is the one on April 2nd to 5th and called Saxophone Early Skills. I believe the cost is as you state.
Kev do give them a ring they are very helpful.
Hope to see you all there in April. Yeahhhhhhhhh.

Pauline

Subscriber
Yes, it's the one in April that I am going on but I do hope that the cost is not as high as £470!!
I booked it last April and have a receipt for £40 deposit but no written note of the balance payable. This was given verbally on the phone when I booked. Good job I looked at the receipt though, as I realise that I have had a new card and number issued since then and I authorised them to take the payment 6 weeks before the course.
Think I'd better ring them tomorrow and inform them of change of details. I'll check the price as well. I'm sharing a room with a friend who has only just started playing but David I will make myself known to you. It will be good to meet a fellow forum member! :thumb:

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi David

On the flyer for last year it states the course at £322, and this years at £470 that's a massive jump in price :shocked::shocked:

I was going to add my name but i'm too tight to pay that amount :blush: i'm going to phone them and see if there are any courses at the price in the flyer, for later next year.

I would enjoy a course like that :)

Kev
Sadly, the challenge facing the various residential adult education centres around the country is that local authorities are pulling funding support which is pushing prices up significantly. Burton Manor on the Wirral, amongst others, have closed down this year because of this.

It's unbelievably short-sighted, but that's another story...

Top Bottom