Hampshire
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Grave of the Fireflies

Genre: Animation, Drama, War

Director: Isao Takahata

Cast: Tsutomu Tatsumi, Ayano Shiraishi, Yoshiko Shinohara, Akemi Yamaguchi

Release: 1988-04-16

Runtime: 89

Plot: In the final months of World War II, 14-year-old Seita and his sister Setsuko are orphaned when their mother is killed during an air raid in Kobe, Japan. After a falling out with their aunt, they move into an abandoned bomb shelter. With no surviving relatives and their emergency rations depleted, Seita and Setsuko struggle to survive.

OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Locality
Hampshire
I've always been interested in Studio Ghibli films, but I don't think I've ever seen one. I read recently that over the next few Months, Netflix are releasing 21 of their films onto their platform. Grave of The Fireflies isn't one of them, but reading a few articles on the films that will be released, this came up as one of the most appreciated films the Studio have been involved in. As my Weekend started today, I streamed this through Amazon. A very poignant and emotional film about a Brother and Sister attempting to survive during World War II,

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Locality
Peeblesshire
Oh and when you see Spirited Away have a critical ear for the music

I heard a review of the music that pointed to the lovely unresolved opening chords and the fact the composer doesn't return to a theme, but progresses the melodies through the film. I'm sure that adds to the magic

peterpick

Locality
Lewes, East Sussex
its really good that one, and terribly sad. i watch a lot of japanese animation.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
I'm a huge fan of all Ghibli- this one is way outside their normal remit and one of the most harrowing watches I've ever come across. A beautify and thoroughly distressing (up there with The Road for a 'feel bad' movie)..
Can I flag Princess Mononoke as a great watch..... together with pretty much any other Ghibli film

peterpick

Locality
Lewes, East Sussex
ghibli are absolutely notable, and mononoke is perhaps the masterpiece, but spirited away is fine too, as are most of them, as you say. yes, fireflies is atypical, but it is marvelous. i also really like anime from other producers, the ghost in the shell series, psycho-pass, monogatari, garden of sinners many others too numerous and embarrassing to mention.

Jules

Locality
brighton by the sea
ghibli are absolutely notable, and mononoke is perhaps the masterpiece, but spirited away is fine too, as are most of them, as you say. yes, fireflies is atypical, but it is marvelous. i also really like anime from other producers, the ghost in the shell series, psycho-pass, monogatari, garden of sinners many others too numerous and embarrassing to mention.
@peterpick - as you are in the same neck of the woods as me, have you seen Adam Dobay give lectures on Ghibli at the Duke of Yorks cinema? A very interesting and well worth a trip into town for...

peterpick

Locality
Lewes, East Sussex
no, i haven't but i'm sure it would have been a good thing to do. i'm moving away very soon in fact. have you ever attended the safehouse in brighton, (currently at the verdict?).

Jules

Locality
brighton by the sea
have you ever attended the safehouse in brighton, (currently at the verdict?).
I used t go to it when it was above the Open House on Springfield Road but haven't been there for a while

peterpick

Locality
Lewes, East Sussex
i used to go there too. there's a couple of good drummers going there now.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom