All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Grassi made Evette? - Can't say I've seen one before.

jthole

Would not surprise me if that was a Grassi indeed. Probably @JayeNM or @milandro would know.

I know Evettes were made in Italy as well, but I thought mainly by Santoni. But this doesn't look like a Santoni horn. Several Grassi design clues indeed, as you say.

milandro

Grassi may have sourced parts in the same place as Santoni and Rampone.

Grassi has been known to have made the least stencils ( saxophones, lots of flutes) of all the companies in the area.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Evette made in Italy are generally made by Alfredo Santoni
But if you look at the photos in the auction which David provided above ?

That horn is a Grassi, 100%. It's their standard ol' model , a "jade without the jade" basically. I literally have one on my bench right now....

IF it plays well (seller claims it does), I dunno why you think price is bad, David (?) it is a pretty darn good price for one in playing shape, cleaned, and apparently nice aesthetic shape. One ding just below bell ferrule is maybe a 20 quid repair, one can even ask the seller if they can have that taken care of....

I sell these refurbed for $550-600, nobody blinks an eye.
This one is the equivalent of around $455usd.

A good take, IMHO.

Last edited:

DavidUK

@JayeNM - if it's a standard stencil it may be OK for the price but not a bargain buy for me. Remember, I only pay near the market price if I'm actually after a horn or it's on my "if one ever comes up at a good price" list.
It does have rarity value, but rare often means unpopular and hence a lower price attainable.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
But if you look at the photos in the auction which David provided above ?

That horn is a Grassi, 100%. It's their standard ol' model , a "jade without the jade" basically. I literally have one on my bench right now...

A good take, IMHO.

@JayeNM - if it's a standard stencil it may be OK for the price but not a bargain buy for me. Remember, I only pay near the market price if I'm actually after a horn or it's on my "if one ever comes up at a good price" list.
It does have rarity value, but rare often means unpopular and hence a lower price attainable.
Gotcha, you literally meant "for Me", as opposed to the more generalized "not a recommended take at that price for anyone"

DavidUK

I always forget others are prepared to pay market price 'cos they want it now.
Whereas I don't generally want anything, until one comes up at a third of the usual price. Half price is generally my max. Amazing what you can find if you search but it is time consuming as you're no doubt aware.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Yup. I guess I would note, if it is in respectable playing shape, it's actually below market cost, which is why it's a pretty good take.

The interesting thing here, and I mentioned it on another thread about Evettes somehwere...is that, timeline wise, it seems Buffet sometime in the 70's probably lost Santoni as their sub (the company ceased in '76, I believe ?) , and was fishing around for a new subcontractor.

I have also seen mid/late 70's/early 80's Conns engraved "Evette".

This Grassi would seem to be somewhere from that general period, so now we know they gave Grassi a go at least for a short time....

Top Bottom