support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Advice on taking practical or new performance Grade 1 on saxophone

KernowSax

Hi everyone. Been playing since June this year and I am loving it. I used to play ten years ago and hugely missed playing.

I’m having a look at doing my grade 1 exam.

Any advice on exam boards?

Any advice on choosing between taking the practical or new performance exam?

My new ABRSM exam book has arrived this morning and I’m getting nervous already lol.

Hi, welcome. I've done some ABRSM stuff. It's very structured in its approach. LCM and Trinity are similar. You don't have to take the exams if you don't want to, but the graded system is a useful way of structuring development.

Do make sure that you play stuff other than the exam pieces. Try to find a local community band/orchestra that is geared to beginners / adult learners. Playing with others is a great way to make progress.

Hi, welcome. I've done some ABRSM stuff. It's very structured in its approach. LCM and Trinity are similar. You don't have to take the exams if you don't want to, but the graded system is a useful way of structuring development.

Do make sure that you play stuff other than the exam pieces. Try to find a local community band/orchestra that is geared to beginners / adult learners. Playing with others is a great way to make progress.
Thanks Tenor Viol

All very good points! Definitely want to combine exams and playing other stuff too.

I like your idea about playing in a community band. You’ve inspired me to have a look what’s about locally.

Decided to go for the new ABRSM Performance grade 1 exam plus Music Theory grade 1.