All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Got my Bauhaus Bronze Tenor at last

Lerome

Well I returned from the UK on Tuesday with my new instrument.:w00t: I bought it from the house in Cowplain last Thursday after arriving on the ferry the previous night (sorry to have woken you chaps at the outrageously early arrival time of 10 am!). I tried it out before leaving, but couldn't touch it until my return home to France because I was being pit crew to my son at Brands Hatch who had his first weekend's motorbike racing as a rookie in the 1000 cc class (riding his newly prepared GSXR1000R for those who care!). Also I couldn't inflict the initial notes on my son's neighbours, but now that I am in the seclusion of the Breton countryside I can do what I like.
:sax:

The original supplied reed/mouthpiece combination did not do too well, but a different reed strapped to a Yamaha mouthpiece did a much better job and I found one reed among three that seemed to make the best sounds (at my early stage of learning) and can now begin the arduous task of learning the fingering of this amazing instrument. I had not realised the dynamic range that is possible, and, as an oboist, how it is not necessary to play every note in tune all the time!

I am really going to enjoy the ride and can't wait to explore all the notes. The lower notes are fine, as well as the first octave (though a little unsafe at the moment). The higher ones are obviously going to take some work to produce, but they will come. The instrument is obviously well made and well regulated (I was surprised that I could play bottom B flat quite easily).

There is no shortage of great stuff on Youtube but I must now buy some sheet music. Jazz, pop and band music is what I am aiming at. Any suggestions for a beginner?

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Sounds like a lot of fun coming your way. I hope your son did well at Brands. I once pitted in the TT, but that was a long time ago. Good fun, though!

I'm glad you're enjoying the instrument. Tenor has a wonderful sound!

Taz

Busking Oracle
So your the one to blame eh? Here I am, up in the midlands, yes the heart of England, trying to admire the sky at night, and all I get is this bloody great glow from the south! Now would you stop grinning so that I can get on and see some stars please!

Hope your enjoying your new love!

Sunray

Here's a link for you Lerome

Well I returned from the UK on Tuesday with my new instrument ...

Polite Snip -------------- 8< --------------

I must now buy some sheet music. Jazz, pop and band music is what I am aiming at. Any suggestions for a beginner?
Glad you managed to grab the one you wanted mate ... :welldone

Just got to tame the bugger now ... ;}

I am finding the "Guest Spot" books quite good and loads of choices "with examples and backing tracks" to play along with ...

Most are for Alto but if you look, you will find them for Tenor ...

Have a ball mate ...:w00t:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Glad you're happy with the tenor but even gladder that your son made it round Paddock. Used to make me think in a car. In the days of the C1 & 2 sports cars, one driver reckoned that the only reason you could get round it was because of the compression towards the bottom that loaded the tyres up again and stopped a sudden sideways stop. Many happy and sad days spent there but must take sax on my next visit just to prove I can do something worse than anybody else

post script:-It does get better.

MartinL

Sounds like a lot of fun coming your way. I hope your son did well at Brands. I once pitted in the TT, but that was a long time ago. Good fun, though!

I'm glad you're enjoying the instrument. Tenor has a wonderful sound!
Tell me about it Kev I'm really interested, I once worked for Tony Rutter and I can honestly say that a 350 Yamaha engine built by me has won the TT

les3716

There is no shortage of great stuff on Youtube but I must now buy some sheet music. Jazz, pop and band music is what I am aiming at. Any suggestions for a beginner?

Loved your story Lerome, Hope you have lots of fun with the Bauhaus Tenor - I was wanting to try it too lol.

As for play alongs - sheet music for beginners - try ebay!

Les.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Lerome

NOW YOUR COOKING WITH GAS.....ENJOY...oops shouldn't have mentioned that word should I,and I agree with the Guest Spot books and you get good cd's with them

ALL THE BEST

john

old git

Tremendous Bore
Hi Lerome

NOW YOUR COOKING WITH GAS.....ENJOY...oops shouldn't have mentioned that word should I,and I agree with the Guest Spot books and you get good cd's with them

ALL THE BEST

john
Gladys My Axe,

the caff© is copyright and ENJOY!™ is Trade Marked but without the exclamation mark is available unless my Official Zimmer Retainer has claimed it, in which case, would you ask the wife if I can come to the wake, please?

Young Col

No, too busy working out how to sound credible when offering Wemeetagain the OG MkVI alto neck. Gold effect looks OK but silver plating is a problem. Could just sell it as tasteful brushed ally. Got another Zimmer I can chop up?

Well done Lerome. Now the journey starts. Don't know about bikes but in a single seater that compression at the bottom after Paddock doesn't feel much. In a slightly softer sports or saloon it's different. The first time my stomach wondered why my head was trying to get into it.
Taz, didn't know you watched stars too. We do in small way - we don't do it often and we don't have a good 'scope. However, Telescope House's new retail shop opens in JonF's village today and I shall make a trip soon to buy a T ring for our Cannon EOS so as to get some reasonable shots of the moon.
YC

Taz

Busking Oracle
Taz, didn't know you watched stars too. We do in small way - we don't do it often and we don't have a good 'scope. However, Telescope House's new retail shop opens in JonF's village today and I shall make a trip soon to buy a T ring for our Cannon EOS so as to get some reasonable shots of the moon.
YC
Nope, sorry Col, I just mentioned light polution for comedy effect! I wouldn't know a Red Dwarf from Uranus!

Lerome

Don't know about bikes but in a single seater that compression at the bottom after Paddock doesn't feel much. In a slightly softer sports or saloon it's different.
Although the start/finish straight is pretty short, he reached 160mph before hitting the brakes hard for the entry to Paddock. Going over the top makes the bike so light that braking on the initial downhill is not on - the bike is almost airborne! Which is why the gravel gets regular visits, of course. We fitted new lightweight disks and sintered pads to the front when we got to the circuit and hitting them was like hitting a brick wall, apparently.

Thanks for your comments, guys.

I will take a look at eBay for music. I am spending time learning the keys on the sax now. So many of them! The little fingers need eyes on the ends to figure out all the bits of metal and rollers. So I am doing chromatic exercises first. Need to know where ALL the notes are before I can start playing anything. I suppose I shall have to RTFM soon so that I know what they are all for. Trial and error is so much more fun, though.
But I have discovered that the keys, while similar to those on an oboe, are somewhat different and different keys produce the notes that I want (F sharp on oboe is F natural on the sax. And the thumb-plate key produces B flat neatly on the oboe. So it is a real new learning curve. Hey ho. Press on......:)

Saxholder Pro

Members online

No members online now.
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom