SYOS

Got here but......

Pauline

Subscriber
......my workplace has started banning certain sites (ebay, youtube etc) and unfortunately it bans this one! :( The previous breakfastroom got through no problem.

Yes, I know we should be working but there are cofeebreaks and lunchtimes and we have actually found youtube useful in our work (for children's songs and nurseryrhymes.) Ah well.....

Anyway, I'm Pauline and I have been playing (or trying to play) the tenor for the last 18 months. Before that I tried alto for 3 months but found I preferred the tenor. (I'm such a poser!!)

Last week I turned 57 and I'm wondering if that makes me the oldest female on the forum? I did think about changing my username to Old Fogey or Old Woman but thought that might be treading on OG's toes! :)))

And by the way OG, am I eligible to join your Sarf Lundun group as my father's parents came from Lambeth and Peckham?

All the best,
Pauline

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the BR Pauline, posing with a tenor is sooooo much better than posing with any thing else! I'm starting to get a little concerned that the room is suffering from a senior citizen take over!!!

OP
Pauline

Pauline

Subscriber
Subscriptions??? How come you've never mentioned them before OG?
Well....I can only manage about 1/6 per week seeing as-

(a) my ancestors being from Lambeth and Peckham were poor and they passed that down to me....and....
(b) I need all the money I've got to buy yet more mouthpieces

The above applies to concert tickets as well and in any case I can only get down to Lundun once a year and I've just been.

Shooter - is a staple gun good enough?

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Hi Pauline~

You're not old YET! I'm right behind you - and prefer the tenor as well. Welcome back to the BR ~ :sax:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Subscriptions??? How come you've never mentioned them before OG?
Well....I can only manage about 1/6 per week seeing as-

(a) my ancestors being from Lambeth and Peckham were poor and they passed that down to me....and....
(b) I need all the money I've got to buy yet more mouthpieces

The above applies to concert tickets as well and in any case I can only get down to Lundun once a year and I've just been.

Shooter - is a staple gun good enough?
You're in.

OP
Pauline

Pauline

Subscriber
Pete - I found yesterday that it's getting through now. I don't know what the criteria is for blocking sites. Ebay and youtube I can understand but there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason with some of the rest! I work in a hospital and we have to access the internet via the hospital intranet so they have complete control really.
Anyway, at the moment the Breakfastroom is getting through :w00t:

Mamos - thanks for trying to find a way. I might need to try that yet if they start blocking again.

OG - thanks for letting me join!!! Do I have to call you Grand Master now (or Old Master?) and will we be having an AGM next time I'm in London?
Oh, and where do I send the subs to? Will Pete's charity do?

Young Col - Who knows, perhaps your grandparents knew mine? I know my grandmother lived down St Georges Road at one time. (I think I've got that right but it's off the top of my head.)
Her grandfather moved to Lambeth in the 1840s.

Luluna - thanks for your kind comment. I read somewhere that "growing older is a privilege denied to many" and I do try to remember this rather sobering thought.

thanks everyone,
Pauline

Young Col

Pauline , ah, my grandparents lived down the Herne Hill end and my parents and I were Tulse Hill/Norwood-ish. OG was E Dulwich (nearly Peckham).

Interesting what does and doesn't get through. I get loads of forwarded e-mail jokes, some quite risque, that seem to have been round almost the whole of one particular HNS trust.

Hey Luluna, must have missed you opening the new door and bringing in the Vermont sunshine!
Colin

old git

Tremendous Bore
Pauline,
You are now Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive Official Moll.

Let me put everyone right on this 'nearly Peckham' thing. YC went to Goodrich Road School, I went to two schools, no not at the same time, in Dulwich Village and I trust you were standing to attention when you read that, and the one in Townley Road, at that you should have swooned..

Need your advice, Pauline, do you think that YC is over promoted as Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive Official Zimmer Frame Retainer?

Young Col

OG's havin' a larf Pauline. I never went to Goodrich Juniors. My lot used to stuff them at football. I was actually trying to give you some street cred OG, by saying you were from the lower East side, rather than poncey Dulwich Village.

As to over-promotion, isn't there that saying that we all get promoted to the level of our own incompetence? That's why I took early retirement! So watch it, next time I'll undo the adjusting screws on your Zimmer - or your Hanson!
Colin

OP
Pauline

Pauline

Subscriber
OG - Ooooo I like the idea of being a Moll! Nice change from my usual image! :)))
Mmmmm, maybe I need some new clothes.....better get shopping!! >:)

As for Young Col's comments I'm sure he was just trying to impress me with your credentials. However, I advise you to watch your back for a while and don't let that zimmer frame out of your sight!!! (Or your sax!)

(My Peckham ancestors, incidently, were a poverty-stricken lot - my grandfather was born in Camberwell workhouse.)

Semiquaver - I think you are right about the .net. It had already crossed my mind. Seems to be ok at the moment though.
I wonder if there is a real person vetting them? :confused:

Pee Dee

Hi Pauline
nice to see you again, welcome back;}
Now, what's all this Sarf Lonnen stuff. Croydon, that's out in the sticks!
My missus from clapham junction, thats what I call Sarf Lunnen. Me? I was brought up North Hampshire/Surrey border, is that Sarf Lunnen too?:D

Young Col

Do you mean somewhere like Fleet, Pete? Much more urban sprawl and ribbon development along the M3 and it will be part of London! Clapham Junction...there's a place. My Mum used to go shopping at Arding and Hobbs. You can still see the building's dome as you go through the Junction on the train.

Pauline, OGs already wised up and moved fom being down below me in the auditorium for the Griff/Marines concert on 4 April to being up behind me. Now it's me and Mrs YC who should worry!

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Well I must qualify to apply for admission to the Sarf London as I lived in Brockley Rise - went to Stillness Juniors and Honor Oak Grammar (now some academy). Granted i haven't lived there since 1975 but hey ho

Top Bottom