Tutorials

Gospel anyone?

OP
AlanT

AlanT

If I may ask, where are you finding backing tracks for these? I see a reference to YouTube, so that may be the source? They sound great.
I have a folder of religious songs in the Band-In-A-Box format that I get the backings and melody line from.

This stimulated me to go and buy the music. I don't think I will manage to play it as well as you do.
Not sure which tune you are talking about but it's not a competition, all versions are good and we would love to hear your (or anyone else's) version of any tune posted here!

Last edited:

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
Not sure which tune you are talking about but it's not a competition, all versions are good and we would love to hear your (or anyone else's) version of any tune posted here!
I was talking about Here I Am, Lord. I realise it is not a competition, I don't have your sax playing skills, that is why I don't think I can pay it as well. Any way if I manage any thing, on my alto, that I think is worth others listening to I'll post it. Don't hold your breath though, you could be pretty blue by the time I get it posted.

OP
AlanT

AlanT

Good choice I love that one Rob. Hope you get a take recorded and up here. Listening to other versions on YouTube I see mine is a bit on the fast side. A nice slow one would be more like the original if you are so inclined. Have a dang cold/cough going again so may be awhile before I post my next tune but like Schwarzenegger said, I'll be back.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
The Jericho Group - Go tell it on the Mountain. Rather appropriately, some lovely sax on it as well.

Sorry, you'll have to Google for it, my phone's decided it won't copy a link to the clipboard.

OP
AlanT

AlanT

Have a dang cold/cough going again so may be awhile before I post my next tune but like Schwarzenegger said, I'll be back.
Couldn't kick this thing so went to see Dr.,was put on antibiotics Thursday, feeling better..hope to be back blowing the horn and recording more gospel shortly.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Really nice Alan (finally got around to listening). The only critique I can think of is in places to be bolder, also use the upper register more. Your subtone sounds really lush though, just needs a little more variety IMO.

OP
AlanT

AlanT

Thank- you for listening Pete! I get what you are saying I do play kinda vanilla, thank-you for the advice.Trying to get better is always a goal. :)

Last edited:

Saxlicker

OP
AlanT

AlanT

The Lionel Prevost cd 'Gospel Sax' I ordered came in this week and am listening to and loving it. He gets the most out of every note high or low, awesome player and a highly recommended purchase not only for listening but a good lesson in how to play great sounding gospel.

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
Last edited:

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
My feedback, for what it is worth, is that the recording is good, but it feels a little bit too modest - a saxophone ought to be more “in your face” than it is in this recording.

So I think that soloist should be louder in relationship to the backing track.

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
My feedback, for what it is worth, is that the recording is good, but it feels a little bit too modest - a saxophone ought to be more “in your face” than it is in this recording.

So I think that soloist should be louder in relationship to the backing track.
Thank you @nigeld , I have it saved as an Audacity project so I will remix it and see how it goes..

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Thanks. Second link worked. Your playing is coming on well. Can I suggest some long tones and a touch more breath support.

Nice tune, for church?

Top Bottom