Tutorials

google earth

ilovebech

This must be one of the most amazing applications of digital technology, as a one time pro. photographer I understand the basics of how it was done but the work involved is immense.I looked up 160 Quincy street in New York where Bechet lived when he was teaching Bob Wilbur, there it was unchanged from the descriptions I had read about it.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
This must be one of the most amazing applications of digital technology, as a one time pro. photographer I understand the basics of how it was done but the work involved is immense.I looked up 160 Quincy street in New York where Bechet lived when he was teaching Bob Wilbur, there it was unchanged from the descriptions I had read about it.
Ah but I'm waiting for the time you like up 160 Quincy Street and you see Sidney Bechet.

Young Col

Or..
Saw the ghost of Elvis
on Union Avenue
Followed him up to the gates of Gracelands
Then watched him walk right through

That would be an achievement for Google Earth!
I'm ambivalent about street view. Very useful the other night when I went to a part of London I didn't know well and I was able to see the road layout and landmarks in advance. On the other hand I think it's very intrusive in residential areas. A gift for housebreakers and one of my friends is clearly visible in his home.
YC

Little My

Practice makes better.
What ignorance.

It is obviously ransoming George.
It really should be!

The version that I've been doing is using a set of lat/long co-ordinates and a gps device or mobile phone to find a hidden "treasure". It's a great way of getting out of the house and finding new places, even when I thought I knew the local area quite well. The main website for it is www.geocaching.com

Young Col

Oh I've got it. George has been kidnapped and you use lat/long, gps or possibly Google Earth to find out where to drop the ransom off, right? Sounds like fun. Bill, don't ask, I won't pay up for you.

Top Bottom