Reeds Goodbye Légère

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
I began using Legere signature reeds a while back but recently had a tenor reed arrive from Reeds Direct split which was immediately replaced. Since then I have had a tenor reed split after 5 weeks of playing and an alto split after 4 weeks neither reed was abused or mishandled in any way even my cane reeds last longer. I have emailed the company but as yet stoney silence. I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent dificulty in obtaining them.
I will reluctantly switch back to fibracell as my main practice reed and good old cane for gigs, jams open mics etc. I wonder has anyone else had similar experiences recently.

I began using Legere signature reeds a while back but recently had a tenor reed arrive from Reeds Direct split which was immediately replaced. Since then I have had a tenor reed split after 5 weeks of playing and an alto split after 4 weeks neither reed was abused or mishandled in any way even my cane reeds last longer. I have emailed the company but as yet stoney silence. I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent dificulty in obtaining them.
I will reluctantly switch back to fibracell as my main practice reed and good old cane for gigs, jams open mics etc. I wonder has anyone else had similar experiences recently.
Hi U Can Call Me Al, thanks a lot for making your voice heard. It is sincerely appreciated. Could you please re-email customerservice@legere.com so that we can try to get to the bottom of your reed issues? Please mention this correspondence in your email. We take all complaints very seriously so I apologize that you feel we have not done that in this instance.

Thanks a lot, Pete, for pointing out this thread.

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
I have been using Signature reeds for 2 and 1/2 years with no problems, they seem to loose something in tone or response (that I find difficult to define further) after about 6 months of averaging an hour a day of playing., I spit one when I was cack handed and it still played.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I have been using Signature reeds for 2 and 1/2 years with no problems, they seem to loose something in tone or response (that I find difficult to define further) after about 6 months of averaging an hour a day of playing., I spit one when I was cack handed and it still played.
Agreed!

I played Signatures on my Bari for 2-3 years and after 6-9 months things were not as good as when new, but still reasonably playable then after 12 months I replaced each one. When held up to the light, the older reeds had faint lines (maybe stress lines, not splits)
That said I haven’t played a Legere in about 2 years, while experimenting with new strengths and techniques. So I couldn’t comment on their more recent reeds.

D

Deleted member 5000

Ive just today spent almost £40 for two boxes of 5 tenor reeds in each. Cane reeds.

I dont like synthetic ones.

financially, thats just the way it is. If you want to play sax, you have to pay money for reeds.

If some of you folks are getting 3 to 6 or even 9 months before you notice problems with a reed, which is costing £30 ish, I would have thought that was pretty good going. Especially if you like what it gives you.

I would love to only spend £30 on reeds every six months. Provided it gave me what I want, of course.:):)

jazzdoh

I have been using Legere Signatures on alto for about a year although not exclusively as i have been using cane as well.
Not had any problems with playability but have had a split in 2 off them in the bark or stock end towards the heel of the reed its not given any problems with sound and you can't feel the split with you nail, it seemed to happen when i used a Rovner Platinum lig.
Im happy with the sound i'm getting with them so will continue to use and buy them.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Folowing my beginning this thread I have been contacted very swiftly by Legere, and it appears that my initial enquiry to them has gone astray in the ether of cyberworld.
They immediately offered to replace the split reeds and their advice was to store them in a reedcase or leave them on the mouthpiece. It is the latter piece of advice that I will personally take.
In todays’ make money world it is refreshing to encounter a good old fashioned look after the customer attitude. I will be pleased to use again my favourite synthetic reed and hopefully there will be no further splitting issues.

Thank you Legere Signature!

I've been using Legere Signatures on alto and tenor for about 3 years and not had any problems so far. I hope there hasn't been a drop in manufacturing quality recently.

I, too, have had a couple of Legere (Studios) alto reeds split over the last few months. I did find it unusual. I just bought two new ones. Hopefully they'll hang in there.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Following my email exchange with Chris Kortschot Marketing Director, Légère Reeds I thought I would share this snippet after I decided to store the Signatures on the mouthpiece in future. Quote:

“Hi Alun,

It's true that our reeds are best stored on a glassy surface so if your cases are textured then you definitely made the best choice.

We'll make sure to get these out as soon as possible. Thanks so much for the updated post on CafeSaxophone!

Best,

Chris “

I have never stored my synthetic reeds in my Vandoren or La Voz reed cases as they both have a ridged texture to allow air to circulate around natural cane reeds. But apparently not even the original packaging or Rico sleeves, which I have previously used, are not really suitable for Légère Reeds.

Regards Al

Last edited:

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
This sentence doesn't make sense to me. :confused:
My reed cases purchased over the counter are Vandoren and La Voz both are ridged or grooved on the surface on which a cane reed rests, to allow air to circulate. The best option for me therefore is not to use them for synthetic reeds but to gently wipe down and leave the reed gently ligatured on the mouthpiece protected by the cap, In other words it is not advisable to store synthetic reeds on a textured surface. Something I have never done anyway!

Regards Al.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
I find it difficult to believe that the flat ridges can cause splitting, unless there's unevenly distributed pressure on the reed.
In the case of the La Voz reed guard because of its design the harder you push the reed in to the guard the more downward pressure is exerted on the reed due to the angle of the heart and the laws of physics. This may / or may not in extremes cause a reed to adopt a corrugated profile on the thinner tip, I have certainly seen it in a reed which was very wet when stored. Although I have never had a cane reed split in the guard.

Regards Al

Top Bottom