PPT

Beginner Good resource for learning to improvise

Jay

Locality
Northumberland
This guy Rick's website (he's a jazz trumpet player) has some great stuff. "I was doing alright...."
Firstly he says how difficult he found it to get from reading music to improvising and how all the jazz theory he was getting wasn't helping.

Eventually he worked out what he needed, a lot of which was learning to get tunes he could sing, onto to his horn.

So he's written a free app/programme for improving your ability to play by ear. (if you click on the link above, it has links to the app and so on). Firstly it does intervals, so it plays two notes, shows you the first one and gets you to play the second one (and then shows you if you were right or not). I am disgracefully bad at it, but I am going to use it to practice til I'm not. The app then goes on to do chords, and then licks, in the same way. I haven't tried those yet!

He also has a page where he's put some clips on, with commentary ie in this clip X plays this motif at the end of his solo and you can hear Y pick it up, etc. I'm finding it really useful, so I thought I'd put it here in case other beginner improvisers do too.

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Locality
Greenfield, Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you for posting this. I have had a quick look and it seems a good place to go when your chops are tired and need a rest and your throat needs tea (or coffee) but your brain does not want to give up.

He mentions listening to jazz, I have found a lot of jazz on the free version of Spotify and JazzRadio (http://www.jazzradio.com/)

Last edited:

Jay

Locality
Northumberland
Thanks for these links too - I knew Spotify but not Jazz Radio.

There's so much to learn. Why have I wasted so much of my life not doing this? How is there time for going to work and doing domestic stuff when there is so much music to listen to and so much practice to do? :D

Alc.

Locality
High plains of N/W New Mexico.
Do as little work and domestic stuff as possible; more practice time. Probably not practical, just a suggestion.

Latest: Members' Recordings