Good morning from Oxford

TomMapfumo

Welcome Aly!:w00t:

Guide for first posts:

1. Age.
2. How long playing/interested in playing sax.
3. Which type(s) of sax.
4. Aims and Objectives in learning/playing sax.
5. Types of music you like/want to find out more about.
6. Favourite bands/players/musicians.
7. What you do when not playing sax.
8. Any other information that you think we might like to know about you in order to get a picture of who you are.

Follow/Ignore any or all of the above. We appreciate that you have expressed an interest in the sax and in joining the forum. So a very warm welcome.:welldone:welldone.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

OP
A

Amaranth

Blimey! You can't be a student, too early. Sorry forgetting my manners.
Welcome to the Breakfast Room.
Even accountants welcome here. Does your interest in dog agility include partner training?;}
No not a Student (I try to keep away from them thanks ;) )
Thank you for the welcome :)

Welcome Aly!

Guide for first posts:

1. Age.
3. Which type(s) of sax.
8. Any other information that you think we might like to know about you in order to get a picture of who you are.

Follow/Ignore any or all of the above. We appreciate that you have expressed an interest in the sax and in joining the forum. So a very warm welcome.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:
1. Age.
47 year old Teenager

Loved the sound all my adult life, was bought an old no make Tenor for my 40th, attended music lessons with my kids band teacher for a year, put Sax away for 5 years or so, was called by a friend with a Pub band about 3 months ago asking did I still have a Sax cos they wanted to do Mustang Sally - So out it came and the love affair re-started.
3. Which type(s) of sax.
Tenor

I'd like to be able to hear a piece that I like and just play it
I'd like to have the confidence and ability to stand up and solo instead of hiding at the back
I want to enjoy it even more than I do now
I'd like a new Sax but it will probably never happen

I like lots of stuff - mostly playing rock and odd covers currently (Like I said Pub Band :) )

Haven't heard a Tenor Sax I didn't like yet

Run my Collie in Agility Competitions,
Work for Oxford Uni
Occasional house wife/mother type stuff (very occasional)
Feed our ever growing Menagerie
Window shopper extraordinaire

I don't do pictures - cannot afford the Camera lens!

I do Moderate a tropical fish site - that's info :)

OP
A

Amaranth

Hello Nick
Just doing as I was told (makes a change!).

Just had an email from the Drummer saying "how about Bad to the Bone tomorrow?"
I'd better search for some music I suppose...

dooce

Hallo and welcome - from Daventry actually but I seem to do a lot of playing around Oxford. Where are you playing? Presumably the repertoire extends a bit beyond Mustang and Bad to the Bone?

Although come to think of it, you've got most pub band standards covered there......... :)

thehunt

Hi Aly, as you can see some of actually work for a living and cannot always access the forum. Anyway warm warm welcome form chilly Essex, well i'm actually in London now working. I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum some really nice people on it even if we don't all know each other face to face. Maybe you can give some tips abouts dog training, i have two Shih Tzus puppies 7 months now, one of them is quite stubborn, what do we do?
Sorry forgot this is a sax forum, i did my first solo in public last Saturday night in front of over 200 people, just do it, yes i was c****ing myself ( we are not allowed to use bad words ) but it was so good i am really fired up now. By the way i don't usually waffle this much. Enjoy Phil:w00t:

OP
A

Amaranth

Yeah you're quite right!
The Band have quite a long playlist and I'm trying to just blend in by running long bassline back ups with the odd Riff here and there (say on songs like Proud Mary). It really is a play for fun group of people - the Pub has a more serious Electric Jam session every other Thursday where more professional players attend - I'm nowhere near brave enough or competant enough for that yet

OP
A

Amaranth

Hi Aly, as you can see some of actually work for a living and cannot always access the forum. Anyway warm warm welcome form chilly Essex, well i'm actually in London now working. I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum some really nice people on it even if we don't all know each other face to face. Maybe you can give some tips abouts dog training, i have two Shih Tzus puppies 7 months now, one of them is quite stubborn, what do we do?
Sorry forgot this is a sax forum, i did my first solo in public last Saturday night in front of over 200 people, just do it, yes i was c****ing myself ( we are not allowed to use bad words ) but it was so good i am really fired up now. By the way i don't usually waffle this much. Enjoy Phil:w00t:
Congratulations - you're very brave (I'm supposed to be working myself!)

Phil Edwards

Hi Aly, welcome to the forum from East Sussex. You're in the best place, not just for sax but a whole load of other musical questions, comments, thoughts etc.

regards, Phil

Pjonah

Hello from Daventry also, blimey it almost makes the place sound interesting.

Welcome to the BR, maybe we'll see you out and about giggin some time?

Take no notice what Monty Python said about accountants, its not true.

OP
A

Amaranth

Hello from Daventry also, blimey it almost makes the place sound interesting.

Welcome to the BR, maybe we'll see you out and about giggin some time?

Take no notice what Monty Python said about accountants, its not true.
Daventry is clearly where it all happens!
Not sure about the Gigging, currently the guys ask for something, I go and have a listen on You Tube and then sketch something together sometimes having asked Curtis at Saxsolos for music too - very beginnerish I suspect.
Sometimes a guy who plays an Alto and a Baritone turns up and offers advice for which I'm grateful of course and I've contacted a local teacher for some lessons too.
I don't want it all to get too formal though and hound the fun out of it all :

...and sail the wide accountancy....

old git

Tremendous Bore
Apologies. Should have warned you about Tom. He is a psychotherapist or was it physiotherapist?;}

As he seems interested in collecting all this information on members, he MUST work for 5, 6, GCHQ or one of the more exotic sections of New Scotland Yard. Of course he could be just be friendly, nosey or preparing his next paper for page three of the Psychowotsits Sun. >:)

dooce

Daventry is clearly where it all happens!
er, no. If anything ever happened in Daventry, pjonah and I would not have go to Oxford, Bicester, Didcot or Abingdon to play our saxes!

You can get through a lot of cover numbers that don't originally feature sax by playing the backing vocal part. Proud Mary is a good example. Apologies if I'm giving advice to someone who has already twigged this!

OP
A

Amaranth

er, no. If anything ever happened in Daventry, pjonah and I would not have go to Oxford, Bicester, Didcot or Abingdon to play our saxes!

You can get through a lot of cover numbers that don't originally feature sax by playing the backing vocal part. Proud Mary is a good example. Apologies if I'm giving advice to someone who has already twigged this!
On Proud Mary I do a little riff over the last 2 bars of the Intro where the Gutars/bass play the same chord over and over then I build with long notes behind the two lines of lyrics leading into the chorus and then accent after the "Rollin" bits and then a shorter bit of the intro riff after the chorus. Verses are left alone by me and then I do a little on the outtro.
I have tried to be a backing singer on the Sax but generally need to play lower so as not to impede the Singer (of course when I don't have a Mic - I'm not going to overwhelm anyone!).
I'm trying to add to rather than detract from the band at the moment but I do really really love it!

Aly

Young Col

Hi Aly
Welcome from the London/Surrey border. I'm too old to work so I hang about here most days. Except today I helped my sons out by making two 90 mile round trips to a water jet cutter in deepest Kent and burned my finger badly taking a hot cigar lighter out before plugging the satnav in. It's their fault for not having done a proper risk assessment of the dangers of plugging things in and I shall sue them for loss of ability to operate the B key for the afternoon. I'm also old enough to be allowed to ramble.

Don't worry about Old Git. We have to calm him down by taking him to lunch sometimes, only it doesn't happen often as he charges us to use the lift to his penthouse flat.

Hope you enjoy all the good advice.
YC

Top Bottom